Guests with no profiles or reviews

Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Guests with no profiles or reviews

Thanks so much to those in the community that write such great tips for new hosts. Last night I spent hours reading all sorts of posts on here, gathering lots of helpful information and mentally storing it away. This morning I had my first chance to use what I had learned! I had a booking request from a newbie so I tested my new response...

Thanks for your enquiry! It looks like you are new to Airbnb. Airbnb is such an awesome way to stay. The personal touches most hosts go to can make your stay so much more pleasant and the locations vary so much, so you can tailor travel to suit you. It's worth having a read in the Airbnb site of FAQs. Because it's personal (you would be staying on our own property) each host has their own rules to keep themselves safe and everyobe happy. Please take the time to read ours. The other part about it being personal is that most hosts will want to have an idea of who is coming. So if you are keen on experiencing Airbnb also take a little time to fill in some details on your profile. A photo and a little about yourself is a must as it forms the start of trust between the two parties. Read my profile and you will get a feel for what sort of things people write in this community. Once you fill in your profile and get a good review you will find you can "instant book" with many hosts, which makes life easier. When you do this it's "locked in". We love having the opportunity to be your first Airbnb experience, please share with us your expectations about staying on an Airbnb home instead of a hotel so we can make sure we meet them or even exceed them.

Our little studio is completely self contained and continental breakfast foods are supplied in the room for you to help yourself. Some hosts do provide hot breakfasts and others may not supply any (so the term Airbnb can be a bit confusing!)

Let me know when you've popped some info on your profile and I will happily approve your Friday night stay. Cheers! Roz

He hasn't actually booked yet, but he did take the time to load up a photo and verify this ID, so I consider that a success! 

34 Replies 34
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Success! (But personally it's a bit too long for anyone to read it all) 

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

Congratulations on the effort (we all benefit) I hope you get your booking....you deserve it

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Roz4  Your message is so lovely, but a bit too long.  Edit it down and keep it as a saved message that you can use over and over.  Bravo to you for taking the time to educate yourself.  Not only will you save yourself from making costly mistakes, but you will realize what an amazing host community is available to you...to all of us.

Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone- yes on reflection it is LONG!!! Just worked out some ways to cut it down without losing valuable content! Excellent, now I just have to decide whether striving for super host status is worth the angst it brings when u get a random bad review 😂😬😜😳 haha

happy hosting everyone

Yes shave it down to a couple of paragraphs thats great. I like to suggest that airbnb works on reviews so we strive to achieve 5 stars and give 5 stars with great guests who treat our home as they would thier own. 

All guest appreciate honesty and will leave good reviews for you

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

i thnk guests are more interested in hearing details about your place instead of you explaining what airbnb is about.

most of them know

Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

If they haven't travelled using Airbnb before do you think they know? My husband and I found it all quite confusing to start with. This particular guest (who still hasn't booked by the way) has sent me at least 10 messages today with questions (so maybe it's not much of a success as he hasn't used the FAQ section as I suggested). It's surprising what people focus on wanting to know. He was quite concerned about payment, the fees, whether he would get a receipt etc. 

I think when you've been hosting awhile it's like anything, you think everyone knows what you have come to think of as "common knowledge". 

Anything he e needed to know about my place is explained  on my listing. 

Cheryl36
Level 2
Busselton, Australia

Most guests only read what they want to on your profile, which isn't much unfortunately. How many more times do I have to tell them to park in the driveway near the mail box and not on the footpath, as clearly stated on my profile arrrgh! Not sleeping between the freshly cleaned sheets is a pet hate of mine. Sleeping on the blanket may be comfy but it's certainly not hygenic if every other Tom, **bleep** or Harry has slept on it! Good luck with your information to your guests. I just hope they read it because they don't read much else!

Hi Roz,

First, the best of luck.

I suggest being a little patient in choosing your first guests. Give a reduced price after chatting,

suss them out. This activity is fun and easy with good guests, not fun and not easy with other guests.

So, be patient, just like a blind date. Be hopeful, but keep your eyes open. Our very first guests almost

burned down our house, leaving an electric heater on all day right next to dry bed sheets. Luckily, we did

a security check, just from sixth sense. Big Whew! 

Hotels are designed with idiot-proof features. You'll learn to spot them.

Good luck.

@Dunny0  I am so going to use the phrase "idiot proof" should I need to give a negative review!  LOL

@Linda108

Ha, ha. My mother-in-law's phrase, after translation from Japanese. And she's 92 and a half. Seen it all.

But seriously, think this way and you'll be safe. I suggest looking at plumbing first - the way the toilet works. The flush handle

ought to be robust, not delicate. Have a plunger handy. Have a handy bucket for any toss-away paper of any kind, especially

one labelled 'napkins', even with an inviting cartoon character face and open mouth (great idea, by the way). The shower

and bath should be sturdy nechanical, not with electric hi-tech buttons (they'll get hammered by Australians). Simple is always best.

There should be overflow drains. Lights! I changed all bathroom and toilet light and fan switches to 20-minute and 40-minute timed

automatically 'off' buttons. Previously, these were left on all night. Most importantly, invest in strong low-consumption air-conditioning units, especially if they can automatically time-out after 4 hours or so. That not saves big on electricity bills. And never ever have 

any portable radiant heaters. Not idiot-proof. Very dangerous. The list goes on and on.... imbeciles are everywhere. Call them

'Zombies in Wonderland'. Happy hosting!

Almost forgot. Our lifesaver: a mandatory once a day security check. the same as housekeeping in a hotel.

Anita109
Level 2
Telscombe Cliffs, United Kingdom

One of our first guests filled up the electric kettle, then put it on the gas cooker, lit the gas, and melted it! He was very apologetic, he was up early and still sleepy! He bought us another, but could have caused a fire..

@Roz0

Point well made.

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

If you have some questions about your potential guest, why don't you just ask them directly - what do you want to know?