Guests withdraw booking request after waiting a little bit

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

Guests withdraw booking request after waiting a little bit

Folks, I have noticed an increasing trend of guests withdrawing booking requests if I didn't respond within like 30 minutes or so (it varies, sometimes after like 20 minutes they withdrawl as well). The trend has been increasing during the pandemic. Not for same day booking and most of time guests are with new account no reviews. I assume they found other accommodations or simply don't want to wait. What do you guys feel about those guests? Does this action pose risk of problematic guest or it's nothing else than normal?

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nanxing0  I'm not hosting since the pandemic,as a have a shared-home, so I couldn't corroborate whether it's more prevalent now or not, but to me it's all part of the instant gratification culture. People these days expect you to answer a text message immediately. I'll have clients phone or text me, saying, "Did you get my email?" I haven't gotten a reply." When I ask when they sent it, they'll say "About half an hour ago". Well, I only check my email once a day or maybe every other day. I figure if it's something urgent, they'll call or text.

This instant reply expectation seems more common among young people, and since from what I've been reading here on the forum, there are a whole lot more brand new users trying to book, and many are young, that may be why you are seeing this. Or maybe they send out requests to 10 different hosts, hedging their bets. It's really clueless, since if you click Accept, they'll be right away charged.

@Sarah977 That might be true that they are sending to multiple hosts. The PA governor has ordered vacation short term rentals to cease operation during this time so hosts are taking actions on this. I know most other hosts are not accepting short reservations so they are not violating the governor's order. For me I tell guests that I only provide service to life-sustaining essentials, like healthcare workers and take extra precautions in terms of isolation and cleaning/disinfecting, and ask them to explain why they are booking with us. I have heard from guests that it's nowadays very difficult to find a listing to book a couple nights, but I'm like why are you booking 1-2 nights for pleasure at this time? 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As you are only open to key workers,  and your city is on lock down for wider STRs,  doesn't that mean that your only bookings should come through Airbnb Open homes programme, or whatever programme is running in your country through Airbnb for key workers and therefore you should only get requests from health workers? @Nanxing0 

It sounds from what you are saying that they are not key workers who are making booking requests,  or as you say they wouldn't want a 1-2 night stay. Be worth checking with Airbnb as to what checks they are carrying out on their key worker programme before letting people contact you.

Why not set a minimum stay as health workers are likely to be staying at least three or four weeks.

@Helen3 Not necessarily from the program but only key workers, or those essential ones. A lot of key workers don't qualify or don't want to go through the program. The situation is not as simple as you might think. Our listings are located in the area that there are several major hospitals and universities. We have received requests from healthcare workers that need to quarantine themselves, as well as those coming into the city to work for the hospital. It's very difficult to find lodging around here. There are also people coming to help their in-hospital relatives.

I'm declining most guests these days anyways since they don't qualify for the "essential" requirement. I know a lot of people are just too bored to stay at home and want to book for something different but that's a big NO NO to me due to the government restrictions. However I also feel I'm obligated to help those essential people and their need during this time.

I don't really think reservation time is a good measure but I respect any reasonable decision. I have hosted a few guests who came here to serve the hospital (service their equipment, infrastructure, etc) and they only need 1-2 nights stay. I guess other hosts want longer reservations mainly because if there's a 1-2 nights reservation, we need block the couple days before and after and arrange cleaning that's not very convenient TBH.