Guests

Answered!
Rawlda0
Level 2
Saint David, Grenada

Guests

Hi, My name is Rawlda, I am relatively new to Airbnb.  I have a couple of questions:

1.  My current guest arrived to start her stay and announced she has 2 suitcases of laundry she needs to do during her stay.  She was previously at a local hotel and had no access to laundry services there.  While I have no objection to her doing laundry accumulated during her stay I object to her arriving to start her stay with this intention.  I have advised that there will be an additional charge for this.  We have to pay a huge premium for electricity.  It would be very interesting to hear if anyone has had this issue and the approach taken.  Would very much appricate responses
  2.  Guest having very little regard for security issues.  Despite having a security system in place, she would often go out and not engage the sysyem.  I have raised this with her however the issue remains .  Although we are residing in a relatively low crime society, the threat of breaking and entering exists.  My insurance company will refuse to honour a claim if the property was accessed and it is proven that the security system was not armed.  
1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rawlda0I would also object to a guest arriving with lots of laundry to do. It has happened to me too. You are right to ask for an additional fee for this or politely direct her to the local laundrette if there is one. You are not running a free laundrette and she would not get this for free at a hotel either.

If you have not done so already, I suggest you include something in your house rules about both laundry and security/alarms so that future guests hopefully understand this before arriving. They might not bother reading the rules, but you have this as back up should you need to contact Airbnb about it.

Do you have a security deposit on your listing? It might be worth mentioning to the guest (in the nicest way possible of course) that it would also be in her interests to use the alarm, because your insurance wouldn't cover a theft otherwise and it would have to come out of her deposit.

View Best Answer in original post

24 Replies 24
Sam-and-Adam0
Level 3
Ottawa, Canada

@Rawlda0  You do have washer listed as an amenity~ perhaps it would be better for you to not show it as available for guests' use.

@Sam-and-Adam0 Yes, but having running water doesn't mean the guests will run it all the time. The host has a right to specify the usage of amenities.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Thanks Marzena.  I will be more specific about charging on the amenities page

Thanks Sam and Adam.  I will seriously think about removing that facility or make it quite clear that they will be charged

Hi! I recently had a guest that misunderstood ALL 3 distribution description of my home. And now after her stay,she wants to request money back. She initially made a case with air bnb and it was dismisses because air bnb saw nothing wrong with my listing description. And i am So mad! Because now she makes us look like bad hosts,when in reality she didnt understand the listing,the private message we sent of distribution or the pictures w description. We are offsite hosts. And shes complaining that we never met her face to face. Do you have problens with guests that misunderstand the concept of Airbnb and expect resort style front desk service?

Ayub3
Level 2
Dhaka, Bangladesh

Good Morning Sir,

Mr. Habibur Rahman, 1 of Guest book, he like my Room, and book from November5 to December 5, I am ready my room for rent. but Guest not conferm still now, please tale me about this. I am waiting for my guest. I will do good service for my every receptable guest.

Thanks

Ayub Khan

Dhaka, Bangladesh

Hello everyone!  I am starting to use this platform to rent my apartment en Punta del Este, Uruguay and I need some help on this issue - and others... - as I have a washing machine too in it..  How can I set an extra fee for electricity?  

Another issue..  what can I do if my guests decide not to leave the day we agreed they would?  Is there a way to make them leave, or to be sure they will?  Thank you all!!  Mariana 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You would be better costing in your utility charges into your nightly rate.

If your guests don't vacate the property you or your representative would need to visit to ensure they leave.

AirBnB allows guests to book for their friend or partner, so I have little or no information about who to expect and I end up having to message the actual guest off AirBnB's system. So far this hasn't proven to be an issue, but I can see how it could. Has anyone had any problems as a result of this?

Big response going on here.... Actually I find it disconcerting that people book for someone else... and it's happened again and although he's turned out to be really nice, now I'm getting text messages from both of them and they are unclear about who they are so I don't know who I'm talking to.