Guidebook Not Showing On Page

Aravind0
Level 2
Budapest, Hungary

Guidebook Not Showing On Page

I created a Guidebook, added a lot of recommended places, but it is not showing on my listing page.

I can print it when I go to my settings, but I cannot see it on the website.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Aravind

21 Replies 21
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I'm starting to think the guidebook is some sort of plot to drive us insane, @Aravind0. Just last week it would appear on a listing in the map - the map had icons that the prospective guest would click, and up would pop the host's various recommendations. I was just about to tell you that when I looked at your map and saw no icons. Then I looked at my map. No icons there either...

So the guidebook has now disappeared from the listing. I do know that it does show up in the itinerary the guest gets after booking. I travelled as a guest last month and the guidebook was part of the itinerary. That's in Canada at least. Changes to the site roll out to different places at different times. I was happy to see it as part of the itinerary. That makes sense. But it also makes sense for prospective guests to see it and decide whether they like what's around in the way of museums, wineries, cafés, etc.

It is very difficult to direct guests to features such as the guidebook, and to help hosts in this forum, when those features change drastically without warning, and without a change in the Help Centre. There it still says the guidebook appears "on the map on your public listing page."

I'm sorry I used the answer to your very good question as a chance to rant about sudden unheralded changes, Aravind. Please forgive me.

Short answer: Today the guidebook is not on the listing page, but is in the booked-guest itinerary. Goodness knows where it will be tomorrow. 

Dave-And-Fiona0
Level 2
Auckland, NZ

Air bnb tech support - this seems to be an issues now for months - can you guys sort please?

I've had this same issue for months.  Airbnb is totally dropping the ball on this and it's infuriating.  I spent hours creating my Guidebook, only to see that it is not displaying on my listing.  I've called Superhost Support 6 times over the past month-and-a-half, and all I get is the transparent blow-off response of "our techincal team is working on it, but they don't have a timeline."  And of course, tech support can't be reached directly to confirm that they even kow about this.  The forums show host complaints about this issue extending back into last year, with ZERO response from Airbnb addressing it.  I've never seen customer service this negligent.

Bruce88
Level 1
Canterbury, New Zealand

I always tell guests to look at the guidebook but have been answering quite a lot of questions lately about things that are on my guidebook!

I just had a guest ask where the mythical guidebook was! It's not on the bottom of my main listing page like it used to be!

I found https://www.airbnb.co.nz/things-to-do/rooms/2878215

shows a guidebook *without the icons* but even this only shows when logged in as me on Chrome and gets a 404 on another browser where I'm not logged in.

https://www.airbnb.co.nz/rooms/2878215/guidebook

shows a list of places with no overall map, so you can't tell where any of the places are!

This needs fixing!

Bruce88
Level 1
Canterbury, New Zealand

It's not mentioned anywhere, but the guidebook is only accessible when logged in to Airbnb.  The link will disappear from the listing page and the URL will give a 404 error if you're not logged in.  So we can't send the link out (unless you give instructions to log in to Airbnb before clicking it!).  Most sites would ask for login and then redirect for authenticated-only content instead of giving a 404!

I also hate the sea of blue map markers.  When editing the guidebook I see a nice map with a variety of marker types!  I've given feedback here https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback 

If others add their feedback I expect this will be improved.

Kai58
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

I'm logged in and I do not see anything.

Hi, @Kai58. It is here on your listing: 

guidebook.PNG

Kai58
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hi Lawrene. Yes, but none of the sites we spent hours marking are showing up here. Have you read the thread?

By the thread, @Kai58, do you mean did I click on the link? Yes, I did just now and 20 places show up with map and descriptions. 

If you mean this thread (this conversation), then, yes, I read that too. You say you are logged in and cannot see anything. I am wondering whether it is a browser issue. What device/browser are you using?

@Lawrene0... when viewing our listingS in preview mode, the option of clicking on x's Guidebook no longer appears. It's frustrating when Airbnb is constantly tweaking the UX and we're having to hunt and hunt to find something. I've looked everywhere on the guest side for our guidebooks, but no luck. I can, of course, access and edit the guidebook using the specific URL (https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/856885/guidebook) but why make it such a big deal to find in preview mode or on the guest side? I am using the full site version on Firefox AND Chrome. What happens now is a pop-up window, but not for the Guidebook. Please note there is no "so-and-so's Guidebook."

The map ... but no pins—and I have added TONS of them over the years.The map ... but no pins—and I have added TONS of them over the years.Screen shot of pop upScreen shot of pop up

Hosting since Thanksgiving Day 2012 and over 1,000 stays. May you ever be the benevolent ruler of your own domain--YOUR life. Allow no other to rule over it.

I'm with you, @Fiona-and-Keith-and-Fami0. The guidebook used to drive me batty, and now I just reward its bad behaviour by tolerating the nearly daily changes, and assuring hosts that their guests can see it in all its disorganized unhelpfulness. It was all I could do to stop myself from typing that last bit in all caps, so I see I have some more calming down to do. Anyway, here is a screenshot of what I see when I look at one of your listings. Hope it helps. 

Capture.PNG

Wow. I even opened a separate browser and didn't log in so I could see if the guidebook was there bc I hadn't found it using the "preview" mode. I guess I ought to be glad to see it's showing up when someone else is viewing our listing; but I'd STILL like to be able to view it MYSELF. Thanks @Lawrene0. (BTW, it's interesting to note the British-**bleep**-Canadian spelling of "neighborhood" when the listing is in the US. I clicked through to your listing but didn't take any notice of the spelling; I'll have to check it out!)

Hosting since Thanksgiving Day 2012 and over 1,000 stays. May you ever be the benevolent ruler of your own domain--YOUR life. Allow no other to rule over it.

LOL!! Silly Airbnb censorship ... It bleeped out a perfectly acceptable word in the English vocabulary when used in the context/phrase in which I have used it (British-xxx-Canadian spelling).

Airbnb censorship.png

It is only saying "neighbourhood" because I did a screenshot of what I see, @Fiona-and-Keith-and-Fami0. Canadians see Canadian spellings on our .ca version of the site. An American guest will see "neighborhood" on .com and so won't be so offended. Is the extra "u" worth swearing over, or did the system bleep something innocent?