Gusts booked 4 nights...checks out on day 2?

Sharion0
Level 9
Santa Rosa, CA

Gusts booked 4 nights...checks out on day 2?

I could use some assistance with writing a review. Guests booked for 4 nights telling me they were having a 2nd wedding celebration with family in a town app. 25 minutes away. On day of arrival they check in at 2pm, wife looks seriously ill...she says she will be taking a nap and the husband goes off to a sports bar:), wife never gets up. On day 2 the hubby is up early and we enjoy a nice conversation in the garden over coffee, really nice conversation. Wife wakes up and heads to the shower before we see her. Then conversation with hubby changes to the below:

Hubby- We will be checking out today.

Me- Why?

Hubby-My wife doesn't feel good, we think its the "grime"

Me- What grime? ( I was raised by a German woman...I don't need to say anymore:) 

Hubby-Well...not grime, the smoke

Me- What smoke? I don't smoke, I live alone, and no one smokes in the home

Hubby- Well...her family has offered us a room to stay in at their house. Is this going to affect your payout?

Me- Well, yes, but that's not important...

Hubby departs for shower and wife comes into the kitchen. I offer her a cup of coffee, she declines. Then her conversation starts:

Wife- Did my hubby tell you were leaving today?

Me-Yes, why are you leaving?

Wife- It's the perfume in the house, I'm sensitive

Me-Perfume??

Wife- Well...my family has offered us a room at their home.

OK, which is it? Grime...smoke...perfume...my thoughts, get your story straight:)

I'm perplexed as to what to write on their review. They have stayed at one Airbnb in the past, wrote a nice review. I have the flexible cancellation policy, so they lost 2 nights, I kept 2 nights and instantly booked at a higher rate for the 2 nights that opened up:) My concern is that they will write a negative review for something that is not true...My reviews are 5 stars and no one has ever complained in person or in their reviews about grime, smoking or perfume...I realize that they decided to stay with family because it's closer to their event etc.but why not just be honest???  

3 Replies 3
Andy184
Level 6
Albuquerque, NM

In the end you can't control if they will give an honest review or not (wouldn't that be nice? lol).  Really all you can do is give an honest review of your own.  Something like Guests were (whatever you consider them prior to this), and had to leave early but as I have a flexible cancelation policy this wound up not being a problem.

I think the grime/smoke/perfume was their unfortunately way of trying to "have a reason", and had they just been honest with you from the get go, the uncomfortableness of it wouldn't have needed to happen.  They probably just felt odd bailing on you.  With any luck, they'll feel bad about it too, and won't leave a bad review (but you really can't control what they choose to do).

@Andy184 I think you're absolutely right, they were thinking of a way to leave to spend time with their family...but jeesh, I don't care if you want to check out early, just be truthful:)

Agreed 🙂