HELP! How to obtain full refund for reservation with strict cancellation policy

HELP! How to obtain full refund for reservation with strict cancellation policy

Hi all, I have decided to cancel my reservation due to COVID-19 that unfortunately does not fall under the extenuating circumstances policy. However, after discussing with the host, she has kindly agreed to give me a full refund. My question is, how do I go about cancelling my reservation and getting back the full refund? Because if I cancel it via the normal route I will only receive 50% of the accommodation fees.

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Phone Airbnb and ask them if they can do a mutual cancellation @Courtney320 

@Helen3 thank you for your reply! I tried calling Airbnb a couple of times but they never went through... I think it is most likely because of the coronavirus situation as well so they are experiencing a shortage of manpower. I also tried to message them but they never got back to me 😞 do you know of any other ways?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Personally in your situation,  I would just wait. When is your booking? if its in April/May very likely they will extend the EC policy for the virus.

If not you will just have to keep trying including on their social media. @Courtney320 

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Courtney320 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2728/what-options-do-i-have-for-canceling-a-reservation-for-a-pl...

No need to phone airbnb, use the path above in the link.

A host can agree to a refund if you send a covid cancellation request, and this is the mechanics on how to do it.

Agapi2
Level 2
Chania, Greece

@Courtney320It will be good for you if the host responds in writing via Airbnb messages that he accepts to give you a full refund of your reservation money.
You will then have telephone contact with the company for the further process.

Michelle2269
Level 2
St Thomas, CA

Hi, I'm new to Air BnB so not sure if I'm posting in the right area or not. My host doesn't want my pet (dog) and I as a guest anymore. They first agreed to allowing him via a separate conversation (Not on Air BnB) They then asked me more questions about him, particularly his size but this time via the Air BnB messages. I was upfront with them and even sent a picture. They immediately came back and said No he's too big for our apartment in our home sorry. I was due to check in on the 9th of April and now I'm left with nowhere to go. Not to mention my money is tied up as I paid them day's ago. I asked them to Cancel my reservation because I require my money back since they decided they no longer want him with me. They are not responding and I assume that they want me to cancel which I'm not willing to do. I don't believe I'm in the wrong, I was completely transparent with them from the beginning. How do I go about getting my money back? This has really left a bad taste in my mouth. This would have been my first stay and I'm seriously considering never using the services again because of this. I was staying with them for almost two months because I'm in between moves. It wasn't like a business or pleasure trip so I'm really upset. What can I do? I appreciate anyone's advice or help. Thank You 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If your host won't refund the booking you will need to contact Airbnb @Michelle2269 

They will be able to see that the host has says on Airbnb that they cannot accommodate your dog and that they haven't responded to your request to cancel.