HELP! I need advice

Grey5
Level 2
Sherman, TX

HELP! I need advice

Okay so I literally am hosting my first guests tonight, like rIgor as I type this. I’m also pretty sure they’ve had sex on my air mattress...right as I type this. So I’m going to be setting my listing to “singles only” from now on. 

What I‘m really asking is how to disinfect an air mattress. Like can I throw bleach on it or is that too harsh/will bleach it and make it look ugly.

And also, how do y’all deal with the uncomforatable feeling you get from having someone else in your space? Because I tend to be pretty easygoing but my stress level is through the roof right now. 

Also if this isn’t the right place to post this I apologize. 😅

2 Replies 2

@Grey5

"how do y’all deal with the uncomforatable feeling you get from having someone else in your space? "

You are obviously feeling that way due to your obvious lack of experience with hosting....normal for a newbie with their first guests.....

Seriously....it isnt as simple/easy as it all sounds..and you do need to have done some research and have got some understanding as to what you are potentially letting yourself into, before you begin hosting. You are certainly going to have guests whose habits are not totally the same as yours...for sure...

It isnt for everyone...especially as you say..sharing your space to people you have never met...

Unfortunately with Airbnb you cannot really pick and choose who you accept and who you do not so as long as someone meets the criteria you are likely going to meet all sorts of different people and you have to be prepared for that...

Joining a group where you can share experiences and get advice from other hosts is a good idea , or read up posts etc in this Community...to gain knowledge etc..

The air mattress probably just needs a clean with disinfectant/water mix ..I certainly wouldnt use bleach....

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Hi @Grey5 The first time we hosted (an adorable couple) I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown. I was lying in bed imagining a mad axeman type scenario... totally ridiculous. I soon realised that if we were going to carry on hosting, I was going to have to change my mindset (I'm a bit of a worrier in general) and just be more relaxed about things. We haven't really had any problem guests (touch wood) in maybe 150 bookings. I'm also more of a hands-off host - I let them do their own thing and we do our thing - it's a bonus when we make a connection with someone with whom we have things in common...

Also, what @Mike340 said 🙂