HELP - My first problem guest

Murray1
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

HELP - My first problem guest

I'm new to hosting and I have just had my first bad experience with guests.

Firstly they kept delaying their arrival time. I realise now that this was to try and hide the fact that they wanted to smuggle in two extra people on the first night then another three on the second night. 

Their plan was foiled when I suggested that because they would be so late that my neighbours who are good friends of mine let them in. They then admitted to having "just met up some friends who happened to be in the area and would it be possible for them to stay".

In addition to this I have a policy of no smoking and no noise after 10pm but my neighbour sent me this text - 

The people staying were up talking, drinking and smoking on your verandah till 3am on Friday night until Mark went out and asked them to stop. Last night they came back at 3am and kept us awake till 5 ish when Mark again went out and told them to stop because we all couldn't sleep. Thought I should let you know. Thanks, Debbie

There is also a missing wall clock from the house and she already complained bitterly because I would only give her and extra hour for a late checkout. The place was left in a fairly average condition and of course I've had a lot more beds to change etc.

My issue is that this guest has good references from other hosts and I'm worried that if I give her a bad reference she will simply retaliate with a bad reference to me as a host. 

I would hate to see her show up on your door step so can you help me get out a true picture of what this guest is really like?

Thanks 

Murray

3 Replies 3
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

I am sorry this happened to you - and your kind neighbours.

The airbnb booking is a contract and if they show up with more guests than the contract says, you have the right to turn them away.  

It is your duty as a host to warn other hosts by giving an honest review.  They seem to have violated every rule in the book, so why should you recommend them to others ? I certainly do not want those guests !  Your review will not go public until they have posted theirs, so there is no way they can read it and retaliate.  

It seems many are reluctant to give honest reviews and I wonder why. I had a guest last year that had quite a few glowing reviews and one honest one. The honest one came after I had accepted her booking - so what do you do ?  I do not even think she read the info folder and the house rules and left my place in a state that made extra cleaning and clearing necessary.

Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

@Murray -
Sorry to hear about your totally inconsiderate guests. You may want to wait til the last day to do the review but definitely give an honest, professional and factual review. Add the thumbs down so other host get the picture.
Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

Make sure to leave an objective but honest review. Simply state that the guest arrived with more people than they had booked, and that they did not observe house rules.

I'm not sure how she could retaliate (maybe you can clarify your thoughts here). There's no way for her to read your review before she either completes her review, or the time expires for her to leave a review.