Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

HOA fining me for using interior pictures

HOA fining me for using interior pictures

HI, i bought a 1 bdrm unit in a vacation condo building in SC.  They are fining me because I am using pictures of the interior of my unit.  I can't use pictures of the exterior or amenities but the interior..... seems over reaching.  Is this legal, has anyone had this issue with an hoa?  They are trying to force us to use their on site rental mgt co.  The rules are only enforceable if they are legal.  I will be consulting an atty but wondered if anyone can give me insight.  

3 Replies 3
Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@Kristen206Not sure about New Jersey laws, etc., but you should read the bylaws for your HOA, which will likely tell you whether the association has listed this as something they can levy fines about. It does seem an over-reach, but if it's listed, then I'm not entirely sure where you can go from there...presumably by buying, you've in effect agreed to those bylaws.

Best of luck!

Thank you.  The resort is in SC.  Unfortunately, the way it's written is ambiguous and we never received the master deed until 2 months after- no excuse their-we just relied on our real estate atty.  My bad.  I read that just because its a rule, does not mean it's lawful.  I hope I can get some insight from a consultation. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Kristen206   HOA's can generally do whatever they want, but it seems backwards, that they would more easily and legally be able to restrict use of the exterior shots, rather than the inside which is your actual owned property.