HOST 25

Ian-and-Josh1
Level 1
Lucerne, Switzerland

HOST 25

Hi Brian, Hi All,

As someone who has a mountain house and depends on Airbnb bookings to keep the place running I appreciate the offer of returning some of the lost revenue from the COVID-19 crisis.

The sentiment is a good one But the amount of 25% is frankly too low for one of your two key stakeholders (hosts and travelers).

Your company makes USD4billion + in revenue it is not in the balance a lot of our community as hosts is.

Have you modeled what 100% return looks like?

thank you

Ian and all hosts

1 Reply 1

@Ian-and-Josh1   With all due respect, you don't speak for me on this one.

I have a lot of disagreements with Airbnb's Extenuating Circumstances policy, and the way they've handled this crisis has been as chaotic and inconsistent as you might expect from a genuinely unprecedented situation. I've long felt that in cases where the circumstances preventing the stay from happening are entirely on the guest's end of things, the host's cancellation policy should be upheld.

But I do not agree that Airbnb owes hosts a payout for bookings that they can't fulfill because their localities are under lockdown or their national borders are closed. Imagine for a moment that a natural disaster shut down all the roads to your mountain house, so it was impossible for guests to reach your property for several months. Do you believe you'd be entitled to payment for guests booked during this period anyway?