HOST SELF-HELP ARRANGEMENTS

Answered!
Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

HOST SELF-HELP ARRANGEMENTS

As the underwriting for Airbnb is being drawn upon to the extent that limitations are being imposed on the Host Guarantee Scheme. What strategies can we organise as a group to effect our own arrangements? For those being affected by damage and also for those wanting to accept pets and dogs?

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

All hosts should have home insurance for STR @Mary996 . The Airbnb Guarantee is not insurance and has man exclusions. 

If you want to accept animals take a pet deposit and make sure your STR insurance covers pet damage.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Am wondering if by country insurance is something worth looking into since the Host Guarantee Scheme has reached capacity of take-up. And also what experience others have of asking for a financial deposit upfront? For pets but also for larger numbers of Guests? Or other specific instances that we'd like covered? Eg Making bicycles available for loan or hire? 

Most pet owners have a liability insurance (I dot know if this is the right English word). Ask the pet owners if they have one, this should cover all damage.

For different rentals(bicycles, rowing boats, canoes, shoe-shoes, I have the guest sign that I do not take responsibility, in case of accident. It is up for them to check if the rented item is in OK condition. They also have to sign that they have to pay any damage. I hold their credit card if possible until they bring back the rented item.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

So helpful. Many thanks indeed @Rachel367 .

This also absolves the Host. I suppose we have to ask for details of their Pet Insurance and hold these so that in the event of a claim the Host can proceed to recover losses....? 

Do you have any experience of making  a claim or asking a Guest to pay for damage? I imagine that with such forethought probably not because of course people will take more care. I really appreciate your well considered advice here Rachael. You're a bit of a star. Have been wanting to go to Finland since isn't your language related to Hungarian.... or is that Estonian that I'm thinking of???? xx

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

All hosts should have home insurance for STR @Mary996 . The Airbnb Guarantee is not insurance and has man exclusions. 

If you want to accept animals take a pet deposit and make sure your STR insurance covers pet damage.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

My thinking entirely @Helen3 . Many thanks for this.

'Short Term Rentals' aka how the USA offer places(?)  maybe  incorrect in the UK since Holiday Lets are excluded from residential accommodation law and do nor create a contract under the Rent Act 1977: 

"Holiday lettings

A tenancy is excluded if it only gives the tenant the right to occupy the dwelling house for a holiday. The Rent Act 1977 gives no definition of 'holiday' but in order to cover working holidays the courts have held that it is a suspension of one's normal activities rather than a period of recreation.[12] There have been many cases of sham holiday lettings. If a tenant can prove that an agreement for a holiday let does not correspond with what both the landlord and tenant knew to be the purpose of the letting, then it will be protected."

Care has to be taken if a long term tenant sublets as the main tenure can be prejudiced. Especially relevant now with the suspension of 'Eviction'. Which may already have been lifted but which a Tenant could try to seek to apply on compassionate grounds none the less.