HOSTS BEWARE: Don't rely on Airbnb Host Support for damage caused by guests ! Terrible service !

Michel151
Level 2
Ixelles, Belgium

HOSTS BEWARE: Don't rely on Airbnb Host Support for damage caused by guests ! Terrible service !

Hi all,

I would like to share my recent and very disappointing experience with Airbnb host support.

As I was on vacation during the end of the year holidays, I rented out my appartement through Airbnb. Unfortunately, as I returned from vacation, I discovered that my guest had caused some damage in my appartement: he had obviously held a pary (which I had forbidden..) during which a bookshelf had dropped, causing damage to my TV shelf, a lamp and the wall the shelf was attached to. In particular, the wall had many deep scuffs and large black stains. But rather that telling me about this "accident", said guest preferred reinstalling the shelf on the worn-out screws and scrubbing the wall, hoping I wouldn't notice.

I had to make a claim for his security deposit and got contacted by Airbnb host support asking me to provide evidence for the damage, e.g. repair costs and prices of the damaged items. I immediately replied by sending links to the IKEA website to justfy prices and I also submitted an estimate from a painter to repair the wall.

One week passed, and then I got a message stating that, as I had not provided any evidence nor reacted to their email, they would close the file by grating me a one-time "courtesy" paiment of 100 €, which was ridiculously low compared to the total justified damage of more than 800 €.

I exchanged many mails with the person in charge of my file, explaining that I had indeed provided evidence and resending her the messages by which I had submitted the documentation. But I always got the same reply, claiming that they "understand my frustration" but that the case was closed, due to lack of evidence. It was as though they always disregarded the content of my messages. I have spent a lot of time trying to get in touch with somebody else and I called them several times, asking to have my file examined by someone else, but nothing helped!

I honestly don't know what to do anymore... This has been a devastatingly frustrating experience and an enormous waste of many hours of my time: typing messages, figuring out how to get in touch with someone (which is extremely complicated on their webpage),talking to people who don't know your file, etc.!

I recommend to all hosts or future hosts to think very carefully before trusting a stranger with your home. If something goes wrong, how willing are you to trust there will be proper support from Airbnb?

For my part, I have lost all confidence in their abilities/willingness to properly handle such a case. This particular incident has eaten up all of the earnings I have had so far with Airbnb and I now feel it's just not worth it. What will they do if something worse happens (water damage, fire etc.)?

I am very sad and disappointed, especially because I was convinced that their host support was great (which is what you hear all the time). Unfortunately, I was quite wrong...

Best regards,

Michel

42 Replies 42

Wow I feel very sorry about this situation and all the others I have read, I'm hoping none of that happens to us with our two properties. 

I guess a good way to solve that is having the person in charge of the cleaning coming everyday to make sure everything is under control. 

The cleaning fee should eb based on that daily service for the people renting your home. 

Always, always, involve the police. Property damage is criminal. You can press charges. You know who your guests are so you know who you can charge. Airbnb will not honor the host guarantee. We all know that. Treat damages as though someone walked onto your property and vandalized it.

You can contact your guests to advise them of the damage, the amount the repair / replacement would cost and tell them that you have made a police report and that charges will be laid if you are not compensated.

And, oh yes, you can shame Airbnb publicly because, after all, they lied about their host coverage.

HOSTS BEWARE - 

I am currently in an open claim. I have gone back and forth with the guest and now the resolution center for several weeks.

I have a beautiful waterfront property in pristine condition. I recently had a guest check out leaving me with

1. stained linens - Beautiful Bed shams, comforters, etc. -

2. hole in a bedroom wall,

3. a hook torn off a bathroom wall leaving wall damage and missing matching hook,

4. a broken pottery plate, and

5. a broken beautiful accessory/decorative item.

I have provided detailed photos, receipts, all requested documentation. I provided before and after photos. Clearly, my property was not left in the same condition as it was when the tenant/guest took occupancy and damages claimed were beyond repair - especially in timely manner for next guest to check in shortly after. 

AIRBNB - 

The case manager said they do not pay for things like cleaning fees yet ask me for estimates of cleaning of linens? FYI - Linens were cleaned and stains did not come out - replacement is necessary thus the claim on this.

- they appear to be pushing back even telling me what they think the stains are? Go figure. Since when did a case manager become a dry cleaning expert defining what stained my linens?

Wall damage - guest admitted to damage yet case manager saying they want more photographs of damage -Go figure? Photographs were after partial repair - but still, no contest to actual damage so why put burden on host to provide even more documentation of damage?  Who is protecting who here?

Broken items - we will see - guest admits to breaking and replacement. 

So far my experience with Airbnb is that they do not protect hosts. All of the burden is on HOST and the customer service to a host is minimal at best.  

We are not finished yet. I hope I get compensated for the damage to my property. In fairness, I will post how this goes (good or bad) when we are done. If I am not represented and protected as a HOST should be, It will be all over the MEDIA channels as HOST BEWARE on AirBNB!

Has anyone posted a positive experience with the resolution center after damages to property? I would like to know?

Unfortunately I had similar situation as yours.  Guests clearly did damage and Airbnb case manager just keep going in circles..35 emails+...I had before and after photos, original receipts, quotes of repairs etc.  Airbnb horrible with claims...

Same for me, turning in circles is the exact description of how it works, terribly frustrating! I finally gave up and also stopped using AirBNB...

UPDATE-so the quotes I gave were for thousands and specifically said it could not be a spot repair on my floor and guess what!! There is NO point to have any type of insurance through Airbnb when people book because that was not included in the offer they sent me which was around $300 because they said my so called quote was way too high and they wanted an actual reciept for fixing the floor, well no company could even fit me in for several months so I had to send just a quote. I even sent the CHEAPEST one out of the two companies in my area that do professional floors. One guy said he'd charge $5000 due to it being a waste of his time to come and do just one room and both couldn't fit me in for months to come. Based on Airbnb's whatever system they use, the offer and mind you they never would directly connect you to the claims department and no answer was ever the same and none of my questions got answered and then you only get 48 hrs to accept their email offer..and while on the phone speaking to someone the 48 hr hit and he said oh the claim was closed. I needed answers to questions I had been repeatedly asking through calls and emails and once it's closed it's over. So, lesson here they don't pay and what ever amount you have down if damages occur isn't even included when dealing with the claims department. My personal experience.

Paul482
Level 2
Missoula, MT

the host guarantee is illusory.  Once you remember that guest pay fees and airbnb makes its living by fees, then its easy to understand how hosts get poor treatment as third in the pecking order.  Don't assume otherwise.  Beware.

So - 

I promised I would follow up regarding where my claim ended. The Final Airbnb settlement was with errors, inferior and below what they originally agreed to pay. When I disputed and tried to point out their own errors, they shut the case down as "FINAL" - A JOKE!!

1.  - Problem - Stained Bed linens and decorative shams - Valued $300-$400 ( matching comforter/shams/decorative shams )

-AIRBNB- Resolution - one pillow sham replacement - REALLY? ONE sham?

2. - Broken decorative plate - tenant agreed on the damage and tried to fix with glue

-AIRBNB- Resolution - no reimbursement

3. Hole in Bathroom wall, missing hook - tenant agreed in writing and apologized for damage

-AIRBNB Resolution - nothing - no hook replacement 

4. Broken Decorative accessory - Tenant apologized and agreed to pay $125 

We sent photo of Value being $342 - The photo contained 6 items of the object in question.

- AIRBNB Resolution - They divided the $342 by the six items photographed and reimbursed us $58

5. Hole in Bedroom Wall - drywall patch /texture/ repaint - Receipt given $350

Airbnb Resolution - $350

This was, without a doubt, the most documented claim with photographs and tenant /host communication. The resolution process and explanations of settlement made no sense at all - Clearly, this tenant was reckless in my property and did not leave it in the same condition as he found it - nor did he even try.

HOSTS BEWARE!! My family was a five star tenant/guest -Because of this experience as a host, I will never use Airbnb Again!

I’m in Dana Point, similar issue with AirBnb doing nothing about my damage claim.  Guests put hot pot on countertop and burned it .  It was a beautiful Navy Blue laminate 3 yrs old.  Had original receipt, laminated discontinued, could not be repaired.  Hence, had to change out all countertops.  Airbnb gave $125. Dollars..was really ticked off as I spent thousands on new countertop.  Unacceptable the way we are treated

Cherie,

sounds just alful! We are new and just going to rent out spare bedroom.While we are living in the house.If their coverage for damage is such a sham what about their coverage for a personal liability?? What if somebody falls down the stairs and then sues us?? Has anybody filed a claim for this sort of thing?? Where somebody slips in the ice in the winter time in my driveway? Do I lose my house?? They say you have $1,000,000 coverage. Good luck it if you really had a problem?? Is this what you can expect, no coverage?
Best regards,
Cheryl

@Cheryl-and-Vincent0

Always rely on your own cover, anything ABB provides is a bonus.

David

There are many other hosts that experienced similar to me.

i wouldn’t count on any coverage from AirBnb.

Contact your insurance agent, let them know what you are planing on doing and get appropriate coverage.

good luck!

Yes Cherie that is just what we are going to do.It is difficult for us as our home is log also,hard to insure log homes! Let alone while doing airbnb renting. We have closed our booking untill we figure this out. We hadn't gotten our first booking yet. Our house is  a very high end property. I want to know i have coverage if some one was to sue us!! I just never realized it would be so Complicated!! Also I have put a great deal of time and expense into getting the room ready! At this point it is a really nice room!! Ugh!! Sorry i ever started this. 

@Cheryl-and-Vincent0

Would be normal for whoever is providing you Buildings Insurance to cover your Liability, Buildings and DContents is the much bigger premium.

David

David, We asked our homeowner agent about doing airbnb and were told we have no coverage if we are renting out our room. None under our reg. home owners Policy. She asked our insurance co. If we could purchase a rider for coverage for doing the Airbnb. The answer was no. So we would have to get a whole new policy with a company who would cover us. So this is the problem that we're running into. Then to top it off we have a log home. Alas, Log homes are hard to get insurance for. Then we're in the state of Massachusetts with lots of insurance regulations and lots of insurance companies that don't operate in our state. And if all that wasn't enough we have a very expensive high-end property. A few of the insurance companies I've spoken to didn't cover up to the amount that we require. So it started out sounding easy, just go get a rider on your policy. Is anything but easy!!

Cheryl