** HOW TO CONTACT AN ABB HOST ON THE CC **

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

** HOW TO CONTACT AN ABB HOST ON THE CC **

Hello Everyone,

I am being asked the same question over and over by hosts, who send me messages through my ABB listing or via social media, that want to reach out to me privately or another host privately.  Please read the following to help you.

1.  First and most important, you MUST be logged/signed in onto your ABB account.

2. Then enter the Community Center (CC), and choose which discussion room you want to enter.  There are currently 8 I believe.  

(see below)

Airbnb Updates

Host Circle

Interests

Help

Hosting

Tips & Tutorials

Airbnb Open - (this has been rescheduled for 2018)

Host Newsletter

3.  Once you find a host, move your mouse over the hosts face and a window will pop up.

4. LEFT button is to send a private message otherwise known as DIRECT MESSAGE to that host

5.  RIGHT button allows you to click on that host profile, once you click on that, you are redirected to their profile page when you can also click on their ABB listings too. 

6. If you choose to click on the LEFT button, a box will pop up that allows you to send a message. That message is delivered to the Hosts EMAIL account that is associated with their ABB account.   This email notification will tell you that you have a PRIVATE MESSAGE waiting for you in your CC inbox.  Click on that button in your email, and you are immediately REDIRECTED to your CC Inbox to read the private message.  You can reply there privately there too. 

HELPFUL TIP:  If you are coming to the CC to pose a question to the hosts, make sure you are in the CORRECT discussion room, then the correct thread but FIRST, USE THE SEARCH BUTTON to see if the question has been asked and answered by others.  Trust me, it has 😉

Or use the HELP TAB in your Airbnb account for the accurate answer from Airbnb.  That's your best bet for resource information.   This is my go-to place for needing answers to my hosting questions.  

If you find this or any other post helpful, be sure to click on the "thumbs up" button at the bottom of the post or reply.

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

19 Replies 19

@Momi0 thanks for sharing all your wisdom!

I do not see the messaging option - do I have to be an active host to see it?  I have not yet hosted (but am excited to be hosting, sometime soonish).

I am logged in both in CC and on AirBnB.  I have allowed popups within CC.

Here is what I see when I hover over your picture:

message host pic.jpg

@Harriet-and-Stu0

That's so odd.  I will ask @Lizzie0  if that's the case......that perhaps you can't see this feature since you are not an active host....YET.  That very well could be it.  (wish I could edit my post to add that but I was under the impression that if one has an ABB acct they could still use the DM (direct feature).  Lizzie is our CC online manager and she would know.  I have TAGGED ------> @ her into this message so hopefully she sees this concern from you.  I would like to know the definitive answer to that too. 

Do you know about the Co-Host feature as well?  I am happy to help you in that capacity should you desire to have a seasoned partner to help you. I am currently doing this with a couple of hosts.  Some I do 100% of everything for them, and some I just do all the communication and vetting of their potential guests.   Plus write reviews. haha.   I am very clear and precise as to why I give out the number of stars IN THE REVIEWS....for example:  I write IN the review that I gave them 3 stars and then write the explanation next to it.  (see below)

My Recent guests in July:

Cleanliness:  3 STARS - This guests was extremely messy, left things all over the floor daily, required extra cleaning both in bathroom and bedroom upon check-out and didn't keep their wet towel hung in the bathroom as clearly written in my House Manual to do.  Also, left quite a bit of trash in bedroom instead of using the recycling bin we pointed out to use during my house tour. 

or my most recent guests in August

Respect of House Rules:  5 STARS - This guests came and stayed with us for 4 nights with her boyfriend.  They both respected and followed every single house rule without one friendly reminder.  My kind of guests!!!  For that reason alone, I would absolutely host them again.    Thank you L & J for being such wonderful respecful guests in our home.  

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.  🙂

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Momi,

As around the country, our quiet coastal community of Wilmington, NC is experiencing contentious debates about STR, with a City Council decision coming that could severely restrict the options of home owners to participate as hosts on AirBnB.

Our local organization www.wilmingtonhost.org is trying to organize STR hosts to meet and develop strategies to influence the legal process positively... but there has been no practical way to inform the 500 or so hosts in the area.  This individual messaging option is certainly better than making a booking request to facilitate dialogue, but it will be cumbersome to send a notice of a local meeting to all the hosts.

Any sugggestions?

Thanks,

Tab ****

@Tab0   I have a few helpful suggestions....

Check on the CC to see if your state or city has a Home Sharing Club like we do in Hawaii.  Use the search bar. I post articles and links that are very important that is linked to every host who has signed up to join the club as they will get an email from that home sharing club page about meetings, legislative notices, etc.

Also, do you know if you have a Airbnb State Community Manager for your state like we do?  If you are not aware, let me reach out to mine, an awesome guy named Shiloh to see if he can connect you to your CC manager.  We love having him in our corner and he is crucial to keeping all of us hosts notified and we even enjoy a monthly "get to know a host" get togethers at local restaurants.  Great way to promote Airbbnb to local businesses too.  They love having us bc we spend money and we are very respectful.  We choose slow nights for restaurants to help them out.   

Another reason I attend each meeting is to meet more hosts who perhaps can help me accommodate a guests who needs to be moved from my listing for last minute cancellations like when I had emergency surgery.  (they are not ACTUAL cancellations because I help them move and Airbnb moves their money) - its a win win for everyone involved.  I do all the work.  Airbnb appreciates my efforts and even gives the guests 10% off their next stay for agreeing to move.  I even make sure the other hosts honors my price in case they are more.  Done this 3xs.  

At these meetings, I get the phone number and email for every host myself so I can help my CC manager by making phone calls to make sure they are aware of home sharing club meetings so not everyone reads their emails daily, like I do.  I do this on a volunteer basis but Airbnb is fully aware that I do this because the hosts tell them at the meetings they were notified by me.   Perhaps you want to head up your Home Sharing club and post any important dates. 

Please let me know if my reply has been helpful to you by clicking on the "thumbs up" button at the bottom of my post and keep me updated on your progress. I know what you are going through as I have written my Congressmen quite a few times about how Airbnb is helping my family and our community. I have also appeared at the legislative level to offer up testimony.  I wish more hosts were pro active in this manner but its great when we all get together too.  Hosts learn alot from each other. 

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to me.  

SIDE NOTE:  I have the email address for the Community Manager at ABB San Francisco headquarters that is just an awesome person who I can reach out to ask him about your state as well to see if you folks have a Community ABB Manager.   He is so great about replying back to me when I needed him.   

Aloha, Momi

Momi,

I would love to know if North Carolina has a Community Manager, so that we can organize our local hosts to oppose City Council's proposed restrictions.

I have submitted an application to start a Homesharing Club in Wilmington,  but have not gotten a response.

We are prepared to take action here... just need an efficient way to contact hosts.

Thanks, 

Tab ****

@Tab0   its very important that you start each message tagging the host ------->  @Momi0   using the @ symbol.  It ensures it gets delivered to THAT host. 🙂

1.  You are very welcome.  I did write a lot and hopefully it can help you. 

2.  I have actually reached out to our ABB Hawaii Community Manager on your behalf as promised, and he has offered to help get you in touch with the Regional Manager for your part of the country but I do need your email and phone number.  PLEASE SEND ME A DM (direct message) here on the CC to send me that as its not allowed in public posts.   It will get put into my DM Community Ceenter Inbox immediately and I can forward it to him. (Airbnb Hawaii Community Manager)

3.  Did you find North Carolina Home Sharing Club page on the CC?

4.  With regards to your application, I am fairly confident that with my direct communication channels to Airbnb, you will get that moved along quicker.  (fingers crossed).

5. On behalf of myself, and other hosts everywhere, thank you for wanting to make a difference.  I am trying to do the same here in Hawaii, god knows they need AIRBNB here, but the hotels just can't stand us.  Which is strange considering they made more money in 2016 then the previous 2 years before and there was and still is even more ABB competition then ever before.  Go figure huh? hahah

6.  What would make our business of hosting more legitimate would be for hosts to get their Business License, and to actually start paying taxes on the income they made partnering with ABB but I personally know a few hosts in Hawaii who continuously do not report that income to the State Tax office thereby not paying their fair share of the taxes.  Unfortunately we have a Governor here who doesn't want to sign a bill making it a law for Airbnb to collect these taxes from our guests, forcing us hosts to do it.  

If he did, it could provide over $50 million tax dollars to our VERY broken public school system.  For just my island alone, population of 1 million, we have more PRIVATE Schools on this one island, then the entire state of Wyoming has.  That is saying something. 

Aloha, Momi

@Momi0 I would like to DM you my contact info... can't find it on this system?

Tab 

@Tab0 Glad you figured it out.  You are very welcome.  Patience is not my virtue, but I am learning that I need to be even more patient with my own teen daughter too 🙂

(Got your DM) - I will forward your contact information to the appropriate contact that I know at Airbnb that can help guide you along in saving your city from ruthless, money hungry driven, lying, cheating, unintelligent politicians who want to shut down ABB.....oops I was talking about Hawaii.   Ok...well maybe it applies to N. Carolina too.  LOL

By the way, these same politicians in Hawaii tried to shut down UBER and LYFT, and lost.  Probablly didn't help their cause much when it was discovered/exposed they were one of the biggest ride users of those apps.  LOL!!!!! 

Aloha, Momi

@Momi0

Thanks for your patience, as I try to gain familiarity with the AirBnB communication system!

I do appreciate the time you are taking to serve the community, as that is what makes AirBnB a great platform for hosting!

Any assistance you can give in linking me to the Community Manager in North Carolina, and expediting my application for a Wilmington, NC Homesharing Club is greatly appreciated, and will facilitate our local efforts to keep AirBnB viable in Southestern North Carolina, despite the efforts of our local government to shut it down.

Aloha!

Tab

@Momi0

Yes... if you have the patience for a teenage daughter... you are blessed indeed!

Thanks for your good work on this platform... and keep your fingers crossed.

Aloha, Tab

Thank you, I did not know this information. I would love to meet other host to brainstorm. Is there a way to know who are the areas hosts.

Thanks @Momi0, I will stay tuned for input from @Lizzie0 !

Thanks also for mentioning about Co-hosts, thanks to CC I know a very *little* about co-hosts.  There is a real firecracker of a co-host nearby that I know from before AirBnB, might have to put him to work :).  I know anyone you co-host for is in the BEST of hands!

Tomi5
Level 4
Asheville, NC

@Momi0 If I understand this correctly, you can only contact a host that participates in the CC? In the past I've tried to contact a host to thank her for a review of a guest that tried to book at my place but did not want to go through the formal "contact host" button.

BTW, you're a very patient person! Thanks!

Terri38
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Momi0and @Tomi

Thanks for your help Momi.  Like others, I have tried, but only get the Profile and not the Message option.

Tomi - That was my question too.