HVAC Temps

Lindsey260
Level 2
Austin, TX

HVAC Temps

Curious what people have their guests set a non-smart thermostat on when they check out? I think the answer is to get a smart one and avoid this all together....but until then, what is most everyone doing? We are in South-ish Texas close to Houston. Thanks! 

4 Replies 4
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Lindsey260   We ask the guest to set the thermostat to 65 in the winter and 75 in the summer as they leave.

@Lorna170  That's almost what we were doing also (65/78). But last month with 0 renters our electric bill was 220$! 

Time to get that smart thermostat. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Lindsey260  When we have had zero renters (not often anymore) we have asked housekeeping to turn the system off.  And yes, do get a smart thermostat that you can control via an app on your phone.  It will tell you what the temperature in the house is, and you can schedule or adjust accordingly.  Our Nest can also be locked to a range of temperatures so the guests do not have the ability to set things too high or too low.

I’m controlling the stat from my phone if I see it goes below 68. I ask my guests to please refrain from going any lower. One guest kept putting it to 64 and I called them and asked them to stop, which they did. Needless to say, we won’t have them back