Had to remove a hostile guest, he then used the review to retaliate

Artistic-Haüs0
Level 1
Scottsdale, AZ

Had to remove a hostile guest, he then used the review to retaliate

We unfortunately had a hostile guest and had to have him removed from the house, now his review is posted on the listing.  Why will Airbnb not remove it?  My wife who cares for our 7 month old child was not comfortable interacting with this guest do to his hostile and disturbing behavior so she contacted Airbnb how offered to remove them.  The did however let them leave a review that he used in a retaliatory way (1-star) which cost her a Super Host status, and mainly worries me as she will be unlikely to have a similar guest removed in the future.  Seems like a major safety hazard.  Is there somewhere else or organization that I should take this to?  Note that this is a house with greater than 150 reviews and had a 4.96 rating prior to this.  Additionally the guest broke the house rules by bringing a large dog, had more guests than listed on the booking, and left the house a mess. 

3 Replies 3
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Artistic-Haüs0 unfortunately the guest did not say anything in his review that warranted it's removal. You kicked him out, of course his experience was 1 star (not to say that you shouldn't have). You have many wonderful reviews. This one will be on page five before you blink and airbnb does not always display them in order anyway. Here is my advice if I may for the future: make your response short and include details only if necessary. In this case, something like "it is my priority for every guest to have an amazing experience and I regret this guest was not fully satisfied". Or "this guest brought a large dog and we do not allow pets". This is a reasonable explanation to the negative and a warning to anyone else thinking of bringing a pet. Before you posted your answer, no one knew you kicked him out. Think of future guests reading this. Their thought process may be "this guy kicks guests out if they do something wrong? So many rules that someone couldn't follow them?". I would also leave comments to other reviews as well but this time positive- so glad you were able to enjoy the court; yes, this location is so great because etc. Right now this is your only response and attracts even more attention to the negative review

@Artistic-Haüs0   There is not an external body regulating Airbnb practices at this level or any organization that's concerned with whether small businesses receive the online reviews that their owners feel they deserve. It's just part of the cost of doing business that sometimes you're going to deal with a-holes. 

If "Superhost" were a meaningful distinction, I'm sure your wife would be deserving of it, but I suggest you think of it more in terms of what Airbnb is actually using it for: to manipulate hosts into being subservient to their listing service. You and your wife decided that keeping your family and property safe was more important than 5-star reviews and stupid orange badges. In other words, you handled the situation like adults, and I'm sure you can also accept the consequences with aplomb.

Even so, if you prioritize quality guests and high ratings over maximum occupancy, your best bet is to decline guests like this in the future. According to your wife's review, the guest made "several attempts to negotiate down the rate on a late booking request." Of course hosts as experienced as you both know that this is a major red flag that you're going to have a problem guest and likely not come out with a perfect review. I know these are hard times and the near future for hosting looks quite bleak, but if you don't want to deal with problems like this again you're going to have to screen your guests.

@Anonymous 

Unfortenately 1 ist the maximum No of thumbs ups I can assign to Your post.