Halifax Nova Scotia to shut down non primary rentals

Karen-And-Paul0
Level 1
Dartmouth, CA

Halifax Nova Scotia to shut down non primary rentals

My wife and I own a semi detached house in Cole Harbour NS that we rent full time on Airbnb. Bylaws coming into effect this April 2020 will be looking to shut us down completely to protect the hotel industry and its low wage jobs. We are in an area of semi detached homes with no hotels or bnb within several Miles. We are no threat to them. We also dont run a party house . We screen our guests very well and have had a run of over 30 straight excellent guests. No complaints at all from any of our neighbours that we know of. I feel the local airbnb group needs to get together to form a cohesive unit that can effectively speak with our city and provincial officials. I ask all hosts in NS HRM to respond to this and ensure that we dont go down without a fight

4 Replies 4
Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

This is a shame @Karen-And-Paul0 , and seems to be happening a great deal in various cities across the country. Wishing you and other Halifax hosts the best of luck in trying to stop your city from banning Airbnbs.

Tanya533
Level 1
Nova Scotia, Canada

Hi. I’m semi new here. Just trying to connect with other hosts. 

Alex7863
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Hi Karen, I don't live in Nova Scotia but very interested to learn if Airbnb has been banned or not as I'm planning to list a house in NS after the renovation is over hopefully in the coming summer.

Mike2853
Level 2
Halifax, Canada

Hi Karen and Paul - I notice this post was from 2020, but it looks like HRM is circling back around to looking to regulate AirBnBs in HRM.  While I think it is a good thing they are looking to regulate them in general, they are doing so in such a way that will shut down otherwise well-operating short-term rentals (STR).  We have a well-running AirBnB in Spryfield, and have just found out about an upcoming hearing on Feb 21.  Please get in touch with me if interested in submitting a letter to council.  I agree that we should have one cohesive voice to counter the points made by a few upset residents in the North End.  Please send me an e-mail at **.

**[E-mail address removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]