Harrassment from Guest in California

Matt4212
Level 3
California, United States

Harrassment from Guest in California

Hi all! I am a super host and believe in Airbnb. I had my first really troubling guest in my 3 years of hosting.

The guest verbally threatened me and harassed me on IG. His IG account is now down because it was illegal and not part of how IG is as a community.

He also left damages to my property as well stole things on his late check out that I accommodated for him. 

In short I have been in constant communication with Airbnb about this. I have been satisfied with their help so far as reimbursement for changing locks, deep cleaning of carpets from marijanua residue and changing of locks on my door. 

I created a Harrassment report online with LAPD and am thinking about a formal restraining order. 

Anyone else have this kind of issue before? If so, do you have any input for me?

6 Replies 6
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Matt4212 

I hope Airbnb will suspend this guest’s account and at least try to prevent him from ever using the platform again.

I’m afraid that a restraining order won’t do much for you, although if the LAPD would visit this person it might help.

Matt4212
Level 3

Thank you for the input!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Matt4212 and welcome to ABB CC.

Sorry to read you are being faced with this awful situation.

Number 1 priority is to report the details you know to your local Police Authority, you may save someone else from something similar happening to them, it's most important to create these files as Police can, and should, as part of ensuring the Protection of the public, at least speak to the person concerned.

If they have a file then that can at least be referenced in future.

Just be mindful with the Digital Age that Police files are not kept for what used to be the lifetime of a person by age just some silly software platforms capacity storage availability.

Some records are now only kept for less than 10 years.

You may like to advise Police of that if that has also happened in your country as we found out has most unfortunately happened here in New Zealand.

Police, or a lawyer, or you yourself (there's Templates online under images) can also on your behalf write a letter advising the person concerned to cease their harassment of you - and those associated with you.

It's best to cover all bases and ask Police to include this as there's often unknown 'associates' lurking.

It's probably safer and in the best interests of Public Safety, the Police do this factoring into account background history of the person, as they are Law Enforcement agency and may know details about this person that you don't.

Most importantly is to keep copies of the original communications and do NOT respond to them in any manner or it may be deemed to be encouraging communication.

Hopefully your proactive approach will ensure the Police will help them get the needed help they need to change their Anti-Social behaviour.

All the best

Matt4212
Level 3

Thank you for such a thoughtful response. Cheers!

Matt4212
Level 3

Just wanted to follow up. Airbnb did suspend his account. The ruling on their end was severe Harrassment and bullying. I asked about him trying to create a new account and they said that he is permanently suspended. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Matt4212 

This is a good example of why we should not accept third-party bookings.

If this person is determined to continue his obnoxious behavior he will probably try to get someone else to book for him in the future.