Has anybody succeeded getting deposit from Airbnb for damages?

Mia27
Level 2
Littleton, CO

Has anybody succeeded getting deposit from Airbnb for damages?

My last family, a couple and their 2 children had literally a party at my home.

They left a note apologizing for leaving the place a mess and not picking up after themselves because they were in a "Rush"

When I arrived to clean I couldn't believe the amount of garbage and litter left on literally every table in the house. Every surface in the house, living, kitchen, bedrooms, bathrooms.. had half empty beer bottles, starbucks cups, dirty klenexs, battery for Ecigarette, candles (both forbidden at my house) etc. My suede couches had stains on every cushion from chocolate, drinks, etc This family of 4 plus friends produced so much garbage, I counted about 20 beer bottles left behind.

The master bathroom was left with what I thought it was foundation, but when I started to clean it, when wet I realized it was caked doritos powder VOMIT left around the sink and all over the counter. The visitor bathroom in the first floor had diarrhea in and out of the bowl and on floor around it. King sheets were also caked with the orange vomit. Family left behind tylenol, excedrim, Imodium bottles and more.

When I checked on the basement room that should've stayed unused and closed, I realized they had used the beds and removed the privacy sticky paper from the windows and it had been left crumbled/hidden in one of the dressers (I paid $120 for paper and install)

I contacted the passenger and I asked to pay the $200 that would cost to replace the paper/labor to install, new king sheets, stained rug from kitchen, extra cleaning, etc. I also mentioned that per my rules as they smoked inside the house, they were forfeiting the $200 deposit. In my first request I got $50 back from him and he replied all the rest was wear and tear for my place and I was "money grabbing", he also mentioned that leaving a battery for his Ecigarette didn't mean he had smoked in the house, same for use of candles.

I submitted the claim to Airbnb as I believe I won't receive any other refund from this guy, but the $50.

Will Airbnb get anything from these guys or should I just close the book on this?

I can't even leave negative feedback for him as the system only got a period from me, not sure what happened there.

Gosh, I miss Homeaway deposit rules. Money is in our account for a week and we refund it if nothing is broken. Here at Airbnb you are basically at the mercy of the passenger's honesty.

20170324_142854.jpg

2 Replies 2
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Ocaasionally you see people getting paid, normally it seems to be a small percentage or nothing.

Let us know what sort of response you get.

David

Hopefully you took pictures of all of the damage. Submit those with your claim and you might get more consideration.