Has anyone actually ever had to call the police?

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

Has anyone actually ever had to call the police?

I am approaching three years of hosting and the one situation I have never faced is having to call the police on a guest, be it for criminal behavior or to have them removed from the home.  In around 185 formal bookings, only *one* ever even approached calling the police.  It was very early in my hosting career, and a family of three were dropping hints that they wouldn't leave and planned to just shack up in the house after their reservation ended.  I informed them the door code would be changed, the wifi disconnected and their room stripped for cleaning.  They then said they would barricade themselves in the room, and then sarcastically asked what did I think I could do about it with three of them and one of me.  I stated I would call the police and report them as trespassers.  That did the trick, since they were from West Africa and had said earlier in the stay there were some problems with their immigration status and I doubt they wanted to get involved with the police.

That is my sole experience, and I never got as far as actually calling the police.  Has anyone else actually crossed that line and called the police on a guest?

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Anthony608  There are posts here all the time which involve the host having had to call the police. 

@Sarah977I have seen various posts about people having police called about guests having parties but never one about a guest having to have been forcibly removed from the residence by the police.  Also some stories about the police in Texas, Florida, and California refusing to act, even if the guest is short term like only a few days.  I have never understood that, if someone was in my house a day after they should have left they would be a trespasser plain and simple.

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Anthony608 

Cancel the reservations before calling the local enforcement.

The officers can't take any action against the guest if the reservation was still active.