Have an issue with needing to cancel for weather and being penalized

Kelly155
Level 2
Lake St Louis, MO

Have an issue with needing to cancel for weather and being penalized

Hello community- 

I am an Airbnb super host. I’ve been renting since 2017.  I Have an issue with needing to cancel for weather and being penalized. Does anyone feel this way as well? 

we’ve recently had massive snowstorms to where you cannot get to our property and I’ve been told by Airbnb that we will be penalized as the host for canceling these reservations.  

as the host that is the proper thing to do because they can’t even get into the resort. 

I do not feel like Airbnb is making this a win-win for us especially when the guest and the host agrees to cancel with no issue. 

Anyone else having this aggravation?

The only other thing I can think to do is to take off my properties during the winter months when weather May be an issue. Doesn’t seem like a very good win-win for me or for Airbnb because neither of us are getting paid. 🤷🏾‍♀️

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kelly155  This really should fall under the extenuating circumstances policy, as it's physically impossible to access your place. Try contacting Airbnb again, with the EC policy at hand and explaining that this is beyond your control.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Kelly155   @Sarah977  is correct.  Contact the guest and advise for their safety, you will cancel the reservation with no penalty to them.  Get another CS rep to assist you.  Sometimes the reps are wrong and you just have to contact again.  Always make the issue about the guest experience if you can.  Good luck!

Kelly155
Level 2
Lake St Louis, MO

Thank you both.  That is what I have done so far. I Just couldn't believe how BIG of an issue it had become.  I even noted extenuating circumstances.  Hoping Airbnb takes note that this isn't ok moving forward.  All their reps should be on board and function at the same customer service level. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kelly155 Hopefully this is sorted now. If not then ensure you have a message, on the Airbnb system, from the guest saying they are happy to cancel due to the weather. That might help customer service to do the right thing. I thought Airbnb had taken Weather off the Extenuating Circumstances list if it is 'normal' weather - I may be wrong.