Have your guests ever asked you about some nice furniture/homeware you have in your property?

Simona563
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Have your guests ever asked you about some nice furniture/homeware you have in your property?

Hi everyone - new here, but long-term guest and part-time host for a while now.
Cannot believe I did not find this treasure trove of insights before!
But I did now, so here is my question…

Have your guests ever asked you about where you bought a lovely piece of furniture, some special homeware or amenities? It has happened to me a couple of times, and I am thinking of creating an initiative that allows them to buy some of these things directly from the brands (me taking a commission from it). But without being too salesy of course!

I've seen a couple of hosts (and companies) doing this, and apparently they are doing quite well.
Selling your own things (if crafty - which is surely not me lol) seems like a no brainer, but I am wondering about other products.
Have you done this? Thought of doing it? What are your thoughts on it? 🙏🏽

Thanks in advance for the insight!
Simona

17 Replies 17
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Simona563  I've had guests ask about my decor and furnishings, too, and have actually thought of something along the lines of what you propose.  There was a show on Netflix called "Stay Here," which had HGTV interior design star Genevieve Gorder go around renovating places so their owners could put them on Airbnb.  At one place (I think it was the carriage house in Hudson, NY), she had the owner partner with a local antique dealer to bring some unique pieces into the space and then potentially sell them.  I don't think I will actually do it, but if I get another space to turn into an Airbnb I would definitely consult with some of my antique dealer friends and brainstorm with getting them involved in some way.  

I think it's possible to do, and agree with you it shouldn't appear salesy at all, but should appeal to the guest's wish to bring some style home from the trip.  In other words, it should feel like added value to the guest, not like pressure to spend more money.

Simona563
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Ann72 , glad to see this crossed someone else's mind! I heard of that show - a couple of people mentioned it to me! Seems I should go watch it 🙂

And yes - I think it is about enabling people to take something with them, rather than making money. I can see it as inspiration - many airbnbs are so beuatiful and give us so many great ideas for design ...

Antiques is a great one as their uniqueness lends itself well to this. But maybe something locally designed too? Or products you cannot try otherwise (silly example but if I go to a showroom I can see and sit on a mattress, but not actually sleep in it and see how I like it in the morning!).

@Simona563  Yes, your ideas are good.  I think the return would be modest for the amount of arranging it would take, though.  Antiques from a local shop or locally made items like soap are nice ideas for an in-home host or someone nearby.  The mattress thing would probably be more of a referral, though, because if a local retailer wanted to work with you and have you send customers his way, how likely is a traveler to buy a mattress in a town not his own?  So it would have to be an arrangement with a national chain, and one of us hosts wouldn't be likely to bring in all that many sales.  

In the meantime we can take satisfaction from bringing people in and knowing they spend plenty of money locally.  That's one reason I take a lot of trouble with my guidebook.

Simona563
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Would love to know what you include in your guestbook about locally made? Enriching local economy is something that I am keen on too, cause I think there are so many small little producers that never get a change. But agreed that is probably a nice act rather than an income generator.

And yeah, get you point on the mattress. But maybe could be more about experiencing and awareness rather than sale itself? I mean product placement exists in movies, what if we could get paid to show something for our guests? Or get some discounts maybe. I feel something is in there. But I guess it depends if you take guests often, for how long..

I think something is there, for sure @Simona563!  Give it a go and see what happens!

My listings are in rural Maine and everything is local, if you know what I mean - there's one Dunkin' Donuts but otherwise no chains.  So what I mean is, I include many businesses and try to say something unique about each one to encourage guests to visit them.  For instance, during the summer there's a lunch place that makes amazing lobster rolls, but it looks like a shack and city folk might not stop there.  I promote it in the guidebook and most guests end up raving about it.  At the convenience store down the road the clientele can seem a bit rough, but there's a baker on premises who makes the most incredible donuts every morning.  There are local artists and craftspeople, activities and shops that I can direct my guests' attention to.  I must do more in highlighting things in the house that came from these places, now that we're talking about it!

https://www.airbnb.com/s/guidebooks?refinement_paths[]=/guidebooks/45126&share_channel=copy

Simona563
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

@Ann72 this looks great, and this is super valuable for your guests if they want the real experience rather than go for the tourist traps 🙂 
Thanks for the encouragement, will report back!

@Simona563  Definitely do, I would love to hear some creative ideas that make everyone happy 🙂

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I don't have an interest in making money out of guests who like items in my home - I just let them know where I got the item.

I think it's fine for hosts to sell craft or food items they make or local produce.

Which companies are you referring to which offer hosts an option to do this - that you know are doing well out of this sort of model @Simona563 

I've seen a fair people like yourself come on here wanting to do this, but not seen any make a successful business out of it.

Simona563
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

@Helen3 thanks and totally understand. I think is less about selling and more about us being curators for nice things we use - or at least that is how I see it.

I saw a couple of treads here but seemed focussed on food and on the selling bit, which does sound commercial and not what I had in mind. But I read a blog on Airbnb talking about a few that sell 'shoppable stays' well!

Why do you think this has not caught on? Just curious cause if it is not overly commercial (to your guests), what does it make it not work?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Can you link to this blog on Airbnb About selling ‘shopable stays’ ??

I don’t know why it hasn’t caught on - it’s not a business I’m interested in so I haven’t done any market research on it. 

if you want to set up a business to make money out of guests buying products they see in your home it is commercial. 

Simona563
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

This is it @Helen3 : https://news.airbnb.com/love-the-decor-from-your-airbnb-buy-it/ 
I do not really see the main goal as making money off your guests, more like giving them an option if something inspires them. I think some people in the article below have really done it 'the right way' 🙂 
Thanks!

@Simona563 

Isn't that what a lot of bloggers do?? They post reviews of products and at the end there's a link ....... and for purchases made thru the link the blogger gets a commission. 

True @Jessica-and-Henry0 ! I think yes, this does sound similar. As in I write about things I have tried and liked in case others are interested - no selling, their choice. So we would do that for actual things we chose for our properties.

I stayed in a place in Lisbon a couple of months ago that had Rituals products and honestly, that brand have been on my mind since. I first discovered them when I tried it at a friends place! If not, this bnb would have made me a fan..

So maybe that works for other products around too. Any ideas what this could be applicable to?

Sandra3910
Level 4
Waihi Beach, New Zealand

A local homewares store that has a similar design aesthetic to my place has given me a special discount code so I can give guests a card with a 15% discount to use in the store or online. I don’t take a cut, so for me it’s not about making any $, but it’s a nice extra to give to guests and helps to support a local business in the village. 

I often have guests tell me that they went looking for labels on things like my linens and towels to find out where to buy them for themselves, but can’t find any (I sew a lot of it myself). Sure, I could probably make some money out of it, but for me it’s really lovely to think that a guest has been inspired by something in my place so much that they want the same for their own home.