Having issues with quests breaking house rules.

Rick4406
Level 2
Forster, Australia

Having issues with quests breaking house rules.

Hi everyone,

We are somewhat new to hosting and although most guests are fantastic, we get a few who break the no smoking and no pets policy.

I have these rules in as many places possible on our listing site but it seems we get a few guest who just seem to think they can do what they want when no one is looking. 
We had our last quests rock up with their pet (this has happened a few times now) and simply expexted it would be ok.

We told them there was a no pet policy on our listing and was in plain site. They just played dumb. We ended up charging them an extra 30 dollars for the dog, but we didn't want them there with thier dog in the accomodation. It's mostly to do with pet hair and allergic reactions others may have to animals. (I do)

So what should we do? How do others approach these types of issues?

We like people and most do the right thing but getting over the blatant abuse of house rules by the few.

Rick

2 Replies 2
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Rick4406   Unfortunately in my experience many guests do not read all the information and rules prior to booking and some of those that do will book anyway on the basis that ‘surely these rules do not apply to me?’.

With regards to smoking, it is a very real addiction and although guests may book with the intention of keeping it outside, there will be some that will smoke inside and think that spraying a bit of air freshener around will dissipate the ‘evidence’.  We have set up a nice smoking area outside our Airbnb with a table, chairs, ashtray, bucket of sand and parasol in case of inclement weather.  We politely ask those guests who are smokers to use this area.. and so far we have had no issues.

With regards to pets, that is a little more tricky.  There are some that genuinely fail to notice you are not pet friendly and  those that notice but decide it does not apply to them and their treasured fur baby.  Some of the latter will then try one or two ‘routes’ to insist that they are allowed to bring their pet.  1) ESA, which (apart from a few locations) Airbnb no longer allow as an exception and 2) Service animal, which they do not have to prove to you.  The following link shows the rules and what you can ask and expect from service animals.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1869/accessibility-policy

Moving forward, I would suggest that any of your guests that turn up with an unauthorised animal be asked to either cancel their reservation or place ‘Fido’ in a local boarding kennels where he/she can be ‘let out on bail’ daily for walks etc with their owner.  It might be worth you contacting local kennels so you have details to hand and perhaps even negotiate a discount for your guests if you can.

Thanks for spelling that out for me. Mush appreciated.