Hazmat suits for Covid 19 cleaning @ Four Seasons NYC

Hazmat suits for Covid 19 cleaning @ Four Seasons NYC

@Airbnb Noticed considerable conversations regarding AirBNB, cleaning opt out program...

Just found this article RE: Four Seasons Hotel, avg room rate $500-$1200/night. They are leading the charge to create industry best pratices.

Excerpt from nbc news article.....

Two nurses... now staff the single entrance to the hotel, armed with thermometers. Everyone who enters has their temperature taken, employees and guests alike. Anyone with a fever is denied entry...

Upon arrival at the Four Seasons, guests are given three bags: one for soiled towels, one for soiled bedding and one for trash. When towels and bedding need to be cleaned and when garbage needs to be removed, guests are asked to place bags near the entrances to their rooms and to contact housekeeping, which picks up the bags without ever fully entering the rooms.

"The room is left vacant for a full 24 hours after a guest checks out,

"Then a cleaning crew comes in with hazmat suits and does a deep cleaning, after which the room is left empty for 24 more hours.

Then housekeeping enters to prepare the room for the next guests while wearing appropriate PPE," or personal protective equipment

"We removed minibars, excess hangers, excess linens, excess pillow and excess decor.." Tauscher said. .

7 Replies 7
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

No problem, I can offer the same treatment for 500-1200 € per night 😄

If they are the Gold star, what can we learn from them?

I thought it was good information for everyone to be aware if--

if guests rebut your request to inquire about their health before they check in, as well if you ask them to bag sheets, towels and trash - you'd be able to point to this article..

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alex1485  I think the bag idea for the bedding and towels is a good idea, as is the first 24 hour gap, but I'm not going to be cleaning with a Hazmat suit on. Remember that the hotel is dealing with employees that could sue them or make a case with workman's comp. for not providing protective gear. 

The temperature taking is pointless, though. Doctors in NY repòrted that 70% of their confirmed virus cases had no fever. And plenty of people who are infected are completely asymptomatic. Plus someone could have an elevated temperature simply because they had some minor infection, like an impacted tooth or a stomach bug. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

What can I learn from them, @Alex1485? In short, I won't be listing for a long time, certainly not if this is how you'd have to do it. Zero glamour makes for a pretty grim stay. 

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

It's definitely a good idea but we have to also realize the difference between hotel and Airbnb. Hotels provide daily room service so there's frequent cleaning crew to guest contact and even if the guest is absent any time the cleaning crew performs room service, there's usually at most a couple hours between the guest steps out and cleaning crew steps in so those precautions are absolutely necessary to ensure safety of everyone. However with our Airbnb, it's quite different because we don't do daily room service and we can set the gap between guests so cleaning can be performed at long enough time after guest checks out. This ensures absolutely 0 direct contact with the guest. As far as we know when it's 24 hours past the guest checks out, most virus left in the room become devitalized and pose little harm to the cleaning crew, and if you don't feel comfortable with that you can even extend the time to 48 or 72 hours to ensure maximum safety. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

It may be that waiting 24 hours will become standard, I don't know anything about the hotel industry's inventory and how much that would affect their profitability.  Obviously a place like the Four Seasons can just raise the price by $100+ more a night, but the majority of regular hotels may not be able to raise their prices to cover the losses.

Similarly, an airbnb host or cleaning staff will not be able to clean in a hazmat suit and keep the prices under $100/night, maybe even under $200/night.

I looked for the new 'cleaning protocol' stuff to do the tutorial and sign up for it, but don't see it anywhere?  Anyone have it operational in their area?

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

This link is the only information that I have seen about the new cleaning guidlines:  https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/cleaning-guidelines-to-help-prevent-the-spread-of-c....  I've not seen anything about opting into a specific program so that it will display on my listings.