Heating and A/C

Heating and A/C

Good evening all-

I am brand new to hosting my cabin on Mount Desert Island in Maine. I am currently hosting my 4th group since 6/20. Things have gone very well, but I am starting to get some questions about heat and or a/c... In July... I want to answer "dress for Maine" and alternatively "it's Maine, not the Arctic"... but I have been kind. My current guest wrangled me into providing a space heater because they are travelling with their 89 year old mother in law and I have a heart, but I have been so nervous about it since they checked in, I can't sleep at night. It's a LOG cabin in a woodland location. Surrounded by other log cabins. If a fire starts with me, the neighbors will be by to string me up. And, after I agreed to let them use it as I asked to please be vigilant about turning it off when they go out, they replied, "oh, she wont be leaving the house"...hello lovely electric bill. I've been so on edge about it that I've decided no one else will get a heater. But how do I address these requests in a positive assuring way. "Don't be a pansy, I used to camp"...doesn't seem appropriate...

1 Reply 1
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I think you can address the issue about how a person lives in a cabin in the woods, by a little more marketing on your part.  Encourage the guest expectation of dressing for the location and provide helpful tips.  Don't provide something that has some negative aspects for you.  When you send an initial message to a guest, emphasize that there is only a fan and no central AC or heaters.  Some people are inexperienced with living in the woods.  If there is a member of the party that needs extra heat, perhaps a woodland cabin is not the right fit.  Ensuring expectations are met does not mean giving in to whatever the guest demands.  It is more of an educational approach and the willingness to decline a guest.  Good luck with your lovely cabin.