Heating payment?

Andrew2147
Level 1
Warrington, United Kingdom

Heating payment?

Hi, is a host allowed to say that as a guest I will have to pay for extra heating outside his allotted times (5.30 - 8.30am & 5-9.30 pm)? I was unaware of this when I booked the property - I work from home, we are practically in a lockdown in the UK and it's snowing outside...

7 Replies 7
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Andrew2147 

Was this "extra" payment on the listing the time you booked?

Airbnb ToS (https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2908/terms-of-service?locale=en#6)

"...

6.4 Your Responsibilities. You are responsible and liable for your own acts and omissions and are also responsible for the acts and omissions of anyone you allow to participate in providing your Host Services. You are responsible for setting your price and establishing rules and requirements for your Listing. You must describe any and all fees and charges in your Listing description and may not collect any additional fees or charges outside the Airbnb Platform except those expressly authorized by our Offline Fee Policy. Do not encourage Guests to create third-party accounts, submit reviews, provide their contact information, or take other actions outside the Airbnb Platform in violation of our Off-Platform Policy.

..."

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Andrew2147
Level 1
Warrington, United Kingdom

'Using an electric heater, although not completely off limits, is strongly discouraged as cost can be considerable. It is suggested, you see how it goes and only do use one if necessary as last resort (not supplied btw). You would need to make an agreement to pay extra cost relative to increased usage during your stay. Meter readings are checked weekly for any unusual increase in usage - electric heaters always show up. '

I've just seen this on the listing, I originally read it as an extra cost only relating to using an electric heater. Maybe this is supposed to apply to central heating as well I suppose.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Andrew2147 

That restriction must be mentioned in the listing, including the price/metering for the extra heating.

(i have such a rule in two of my listings, which are heated by electric convectors. Although i never actually had to make such a charge)

But the allowed heating times seems to me rather odd....:  you are expected to leave the house at 8:30 am and do not come back before 5 pm and go to bed at 9:30 pm. An example of "military hosting" ?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

It seems that it was stated in the listing information, which guests should read thoroughly before booking. I think the host's hours of heating are quite strange, but you did agree to what the host states in their listing, regardless of whether you missed reading it.

I would imagine that the price you paid for the accommodation was discounted because you have a long-term stay, and it's reasonable that the host couldn't absorb any further costs for what he charges. So you just have to honor what was written in the listing description- if that means you have to pay more for the extra electric you consume, so it goes. 

I'd speak to host and find out how much his bills are per KWH so you have an idea of how much the daytime heating would cost. 

I do sympathize- I hate being cold and wouldn't book a place where the host was stingy with the heat. Which judging from my reading of posts on this forum over time seems to be quite common in the UK- that people just walk around in bulky sweaters in the winter to save on heat. 

@Andrew2147

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Yes we do...!! @Sarah977 wear lumpy jumpers and warm clothes in Winter. Just had a guest in shorts and T shirt run the electric heater full time. Intended just for an hour or so when dressing or undressing morn and eve. I don't have a prescriptive timetable for heating and need to think this through, decline Home Working guests, or drastically increase my rates in Winter. BandBs used to be just for sleeping so its all change and a rethink.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Andrew2147   If as @Sarah977 says, the owner disclosed the heating "rules" at the time of your booking, and knowing that you would be in most of the day working from the accommodation, you should have negotiated a set temperature and a price or chosen a place that did not have heating restrictions.

I have a Nest thermostat on my cabin, and it is scheduled to turn the heat down during the day when most of my guests are off site-seeing or enjoying the out-of-doors and are not at the property.  This is probably what your host is accustomed to; he does not want the heat left blasting while the guest is not there.   However, if my guest is staying in, they can adjust the temperature to their comfort (within the High-Low locked settings on the Nest) at no charge.

Good luck with your negotiation.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Helpful thoughts @Lorna170. Thanks!

Its been my experience so far that people are out and about on holiday during the day. This is going to need a big rethink. Anyone else adjusting to Homeworkers and have tips?

When showing Guest around I pointed out that we have CH at set times but that there are heaters for additional warmth when dressing and undressing.