Hello world! A very disheartened host here by some guests and Airbnb itself

Martha123
Level 2
Indio, CA

Hello world! A very disheartened host here by some guests and Airbnb itself

I also have a story to share about the failure of Airbnb to protect it’s hosts. Sadly I was visited by a guest who booked for only 3 guests, a day before her stay I asked to confirm the amount of total guests that would be entering the property and she asked me to call her in regards to that. I made to worst mistake of being a nice host and allowed up to 10 guests because she went on a spill that it was her birthday and it was a surprise and they just wanted to enjoy her birthday bc she couldn’t enjoy it the past year due to the pandemic and personal issues (which she ended up paying for the extra guests at a discount because she asked for it)! (Dumb me again) that day came and showed up with a party decorating truck, a DJ! And 15+ guests! I call Airbnb and say they would escalate to a different department but that it could take a while so I asked if I could go stop the party and have the extra people removed or just cancel there reservation and airbnb said i could if i felt safe going to do that. Well I did and I was the party pooper who stopped the party they offered to pay extra to have 3 of the 5 people leave so they did, and after so many arguments and discussions with different people who were even touching and pulling me by the arm I left after I saw the dj affirmatively left. Well guests came back and music and partying went on until 630am! The day of checkout I sent a request for property damage to my pool table and vomit stains on my rug and they responded by saying what we paid you yesterday should be enough to cover that don’t be money hungry! Well I chose not to engage further in that and am now waiting to get paid for damages with a frozen account by Airbnb! This happened on Monday and it’s Thursday and airbnb has yet to resolve anything because apparently the case worker assigned was out and would return in 2 days I never received a phone call from Airbnb nor a message on the Airbnb platform instead a email that went straight to spam. So I am now with a frozen account (and right now it’s my only source of income) a damaged property and waiting for that case worker to return to work to possibly getting this huge mess resolved caused by a bunch of 30 yr olds who couldn’t have there party there way in my home who reported my place to be unsafe because apparently they were being watched, by a driveway who caught all of the lies! And this is not the first time this happens due to partiers! It is truly disheartening how Airbnb can not take action in the situation and first have proof of the guests lies before freezing up a hosts account who has been active for years bringing in people from all ver the world. Especially when there is already a record of me calling the day of that they we’re violating every house rule! Tsk tsk Airbnb you will end up pushing many of your good hosts to other platforms.

9 Replies 9
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Martha123 

Airbnb has a "no parties" policy and recently suspended listings which even only had the word "party" just on their listings without even relating to actual parties. So allowing the party, as you did (and regretted...), was  a hugh violation of airbnb rules.  And then things went out of control and damages occured. So i have no idea what to answer, as i believe you created this unpleasant situation yourself, sorry. That being said IMO the only way to get out of this mess is trying to assure Airbnb parties will never take place  again en hopefully Airbnb will reactivate your account.

Martha123
Level 2
Indio, CA

Hello @Emiel1 I did not allow the party, I allowed 10 guests as that is the maximum number of guests I am licensed for. I never agreed to a party.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Martha123  You did exactly what you could do, let Airbnb know about the guest behavior, made every effort to boot the extras and squash the party.

Airbnb's response is insane. Guests behave outrageously, host gets punished. Bet the guest's account is still active, letting them trash yet another place.

@Sarah977 You are absolutely correct her account is still active and she just wrote a terrible review with all lies and requested $400 from me and my account is still frozen. This is a complete joke by both these type of guests who only book Airbnbs to do what they wouldn’t in there own homes and Airbnb for being so proactive to freeze but not see the reality of all the evidence in front of them. Thank you lucky and smart hosting as we need and will need it more and more with everyone trying to party after the pandemic.

@Martha123 I see that guest has nothing filled out on her profile, no indication that she has provided a phone number or email address and had no reviews prior to yours even though she's had an account since 2017. I'll bet she's trashed other places and the hosts were scared to leave a review.

I wouldn't have accepted a guest with a profile like that in an entire house listing without some serious questioning first, although it does sound like you communicated with her about her intentions, which she lied about. I see a young child in her profile photo. Nice values she must be raising him with. "This is how we disrespect others and then lie about it."

I will definitely use this as a learning experience to keep this as a true business and go with my instincts and not believe anything when things already seem fishy. Not to mention I will be staying away from local guests. 
Thank you Sarah!

@Martha123  As your listing is suspended, I can't read the text, but with 177 reviews, you're obviously not new to hosting. If you don't already, make sure you state in your info

"No unauthorized guests not included on the booking will be admitted to the property. Failure to respect this rule may result in immediate eviction with no refund."

Reiterate that in message to guests when they book.

@Sarah977 @Emiel1 My listing has finally been restored and the guest’s dishonest review has been removed thankfully. I really hope her profile has been banned. But now worry that my listing due to it’s inactivity has gone down to the bottom of the list of competitors. Can this be correct? 
Thank you!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Also another learning is to keep all communications on Airbnb. @Martha123