Help! A guest was in my bed

Julia978
Level 2
Christchurch, New Zealand

Help! A guest was in my bed

Hi I have a weird situation I’m not sure what to do ?! I have a couple from Singapore on there honeymoon I have a house that I host the spare room out and live there also. I am yet to meet them as we have had different schedules and I came home the second night of there stay to the husband sleeping in my bed with the lights on. I freaked out and went and stayed at my friends house. I just don’t know what to do I knew from the start they were going to be those stand out bad guests from there communication and demands but this is ridiculous! Any advice? I’ve sent them an email on Airbnb they are yet to reply and are staying another night ?! 

28 Replies 28
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Julia978, what were the demands and communication issues prior to arriving? Singaporean guests are great favourites of mine, they are so kind, polite, this seems an abherration. I also want to know regarding English skills. Did they understand the listing?

Julia978
Level 2

Yes the listing is extremely clear and they know is my room the bed isn’t made and I found him sleeping in it with the lights on

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Julia978 any chance he was just exhausted from travel, jet lag and wedding bliss.  I’m sure they feel rotten about it.  Hope you are ok. 

Julia978
Level 2

Ok they have replied and I am going to go talk to them now but basically the husband has a medical condition where he sleep walks and that’s how it happened. Well makes a funny story I guess lol thank you everyone for your help!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Ah okay it's as I thought.

Glad you didn't over react and throw them out.

@Julia978  You might want to suggest to these guests that when they book a shared home listing, they inform the host about his sleepwalking when they arrive. Not doing so could cause some pretty bad problems for them and other hosts in the future- some hosts might have called the police, not realizing it was the guest in their room, just some guy with his face turned to the wall.

Julia978
Level 2

Absolutely they said to me that they were in the wrong not informing me of this because it hadn’t happened to him in a long time. They have been extremely apologetic and I’m going to talk to them face to face when they return finished getting breakfast. 

@Julia978 Glad all worked out okay. And at least he didn't pee in your wardrobe.. 😉

@Susan17  I had a boyfriend once (for a VERY short time) who had a drinking problem. One night I was woken by the sound of water- he was standing in the middle of the bedroom peeing on the floor. 

In the morning he found all his stuff on the front lawn and I booted him out.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Julia978 Wow, what a strange world hosting can be. Good thing you weren't already asleep in the bed when he sleepwalked in 🙂 Wouldn't be the first time a new bride had found her husband in bed with another woman on their honeymoon.

My brother used to sleepwalk as a kid- my parents would hear something in the middle of the night, then find him sitting in front of the turned off TV as if he was watching something on it.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Now that would have been a hosting story to tell 🙂

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Julia978  just to make you feel a little better......

I had a teenage relative who went to use the bathroom in her home one nght.

She had relatives staying with her family and had given up her bedroom for them.

You have probably guessed the rest...... but half asleep she went back to sleep in her room and woke up in the morning in bed with my aged uncle and aunt.

She hasn't lived that one down for years 🙂

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Actually, I was staying at a friend's house with my partner, went up in the night to go to the bathroom and when I returned my partner had rolled over onto my side. So I pushed and said ''move'' and edged myself into the bed. Well, it wasn't even my room. But both rooms were off the same corridor...

Fei-Fei0
Level 2
Gaithersburg, MD

Hi Julia, you can install locks on every room in your house and provide keys to the guests for their particular room only.