Help: Guest Rule Violation

Crystal366
Level 2
Wasilla, AK

Help: Guest Rule Violation

Hi All,

I'm fairly new at this Airbnb stuff and have found some great tips in this community.  I had a guest instant book with me with the message

"Hosting a sleepover for my 14 year old son and we will checkin at 2pm. "  I don't allow parties in my rules so I asked right away if she was hosting here or escaping the noise.  She said she was escaping the noise, but dad would be "there" and she would be "home with infant." 

Well...I thought it sounded strange but she didn't say she was hosting at my place.  Day of check-in: Party seems to be at my house, as I noticed from the pizza guy knocking on my door with 2 large pizzas.  I don't think mom and infant will consume all of that.  No car in driveway and then...a poor, lost, young man walks into my living room.  Which is shocking because my door is rarely unlocked.  I took that as my perfect opportunity to ask if he was here for the party and directed him to the right unit, lol.

He was embarrassed, I felt badly for him.  I was rather miffed, but re-read the messages between the guest and I.  Then I caught where she was skirting around my direct question about where the party was going to be.  I usually catch that in person but so far have never had a guest do it so I let my guard down I guess.  She was cryptic about where to host in her first message, snaking around the direct question, but I didn't catch it. 

I sent her a polite email that there was an issue with my house rules, I don't allow parties, I asked about party location to avoid misunderstanding, extra charge for excessive cleaning and property damage.  Then I told I didn't want to interrupt, I'm sure they plan on leaving my home tidy and I appreciate that so I can continue to offer low prices.  Mom responding with "oh, no" I'll text them and tell them to be quiet.  Dad had to work late, I had to run an errand for another child, etc.  Well heckfire! I thought she was there or the father with the way she wrote her prior response "dad will be there, I will be home."  

I would like to hear some input on how other hosts might handle this situation.  Now it seems I might actually have 3 fourteen-year-olds as guests with no adults.  It would have taken me a whole lotta smooth talkin' to ok that one with knowledge up front.  Of course, I don't really have any way of knowing what the real plan is unless I bang on doors and sit in my window waiting for cars with a bowl of popcorn all night, lol. 

Thank you for the input!

6 Replies 6
Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

@Crystal366 

I am sorry to hear your’ve unpleasant experience with the guest.

You stated,

“Now it seems I might actually have 3 fourteen-year-olds as guests with no adults.”

In certain fact, you has done it right! You’ve contact the guest.

Yet, the guest denied the fact, disrespectful behavior and violated Airbnb policy.

1. You may think about to contact the guest again via Airbnb message,

“Do you have available times to meet up, as we can discuss further, or can I present myself and meet your sons,  as I’m in the next units”  

Meet the guest either the mom or the teenagers, well communication with them and reconsider the next steps, and also is the chance to educate the teenagers,  “do” and “don’t”.

2.You may contact Airbnb to involved,  if you feels still uncomfortable with the guests, acknowledge the incident to the case manager, request Airbnb to cancel the reservation on the guest or Airbnb behalf and consider to refund  the remain night to the guest.

Follow up,  present yourself in the listing ‘knock’ on the door, inform the teenagers to pack up and mention the reservation has been canceled. After they left, carefully Inspected  the home and take photos as evidence.

Of course, the guest may leave you a negative review by either ways, but it is out of your hand!

You’ve the option to respond the review  in the public and refer to the incident.

Nevertheless, if the review is against the Airbnb housing standards, do report to Airbnb and remove it.

My thoughts, since you staying in the next units, you can definitely well  control in any incident.

You can think about to change the check in by appointment rather than self check in.

Always greets the guest by person, organize the  house tour, socialized and remind them always you’re stay in the next units  and also you’re the neighbors. This is to prevent party happening  and similar incident happen again.

I hope you can resolve the issue.

Happy hosting 

@Dale711  thank you for the tips.  So far most of my guests have been great.  This is the first one who has deliberately misrepresented themselves.  I really don't want to make my check-in policy so restrictive because of one person.  I love keyless entry when I use Airbnb as a guest. 

I think I got my point across ok to Mom, but she kept trying with the "adult on the way" story.  My prices are incredibly low for my area and that depends on a trust system.  I trust my guests to be respectful of my space and I can keep offering those low prices for high quality that drew the Mom in.  If Mom messes it up, she is in a way responsible for me raising prices that punish other travelers, really. 

I've started adding into my welcome and check-out messages that I'm not adding a lengthy check out process because my guests are largely wonderful and I trust them to leave my place as tidy as they found it.  Then end it with something like, "Its wonderful guests like you that allow me to keep offering low prices to my fellow travelers."  That has been a game changer to politely guilting guests into being tidy.  They all started cleaning more.  Before my guests were really great.  Now with that new verbiage I added, they are even better at cleaning.  Because it really is true.  I offer an amazing price and they know it. 

I'll trust Mom to keep it tidy and hope for the best.  No need for drama before the holiday!!! 😀

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Crystal366 well, how did it go? This "sleepover" was last night, right?

@Kelly149I am quite curious myself, lol!!  Mom rented 2 nights.  They check out tomorrow.  18 more hours to find out.  I think my space will be left ok.  I just dislike the lies.  My husband and I talked and we both said we probably would not have had a problem with the sleepover idea with some honest, up-front communication from mom.  We let our 14-year-old have sleepovers there. 

I'm just wondering how to post a nice review (provided there is no damage) but touch on the incident.  Mom even told me yesterday all the various excuses for why there was no adult there, but her husband was on his way.  He did show up around midnight and left 20 minutes later.  He did the same late this afternoon.  You know...I put in my listing that I live right next door.  LOL!!! 

Any review suggestions?  I keep you posted on the check-out tomorrow.  Happy Easter!!!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Crystal366  I'll be happy to try some review wording, but let's wait until you report back as to how they leave the place.

And review wording and hosts posting a draft review for feedback is best done on the Host Circle section of this forum, as only hosts have access to that section. 

Chances are slim that your guest would find your posts here, but you never know since both the Hosting and Help sections are open to both hosts and guests.

Crystal366
Level 2
Wasilla, AK

I move this to the hosts forum.  Thank you for that tip @Sarah977 !!!