Help! Host asking $1500 for dog poop damages.

Austin21
Level 1
Draper, UT

Help! Host asking $1500 for dog poop damages.

I just stayed at an Airbnb a friend booked for me for 2 nights. I had a dog but rarely spent time in the home and always had my dog with me. He has a no dog policy but I did not read the policy since I didn’t book it (I know my bad). He is now claiming that my dog pooped in his basement and wants $750-$1000. I asked to see the poop because my dog has never pooped in the house. He sent pictures and i am 99% sure that is not my dogs poop. I feed him organic food with carrots and his poop is very distinctive. He says my dog peed there to but it’s dry now so he is going to get a black light?  Anyways the host said he is going to do a court summons to my friend.  I didn’t want her to go through that even though I don’t think it’s my fault and so I paid her $750 to gifs the guy. Now he says he wants $1,500!  This feels like extortion and I don’t think it’s fair. Any ideas? m I in the wrong? What should I do?!

9F8D728B-91D6-44EE-AEDA-3D9901975978.jpeg

C4151B67-0FDF-4FD6-8CDA-35EC1746512F.jpeg

this is what my dogs poop looks like 

568B1319-E12C-4246-8CB9-16B9B542FAA9.jpeg

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I think we could have done without the close up photo of your dog's poop, but first of all, it's against Airbnb terms of service for a friend to book for you- the person booking has to be among the guests staying. And it was your and your friend's responsibility to make sure you were aware of, and didn't violate the host's house rules. If you are planning to travel with your dog, you need to make sure it's a pet-friendly property.

That said, what exactly is the host saying that $1500 they are asking for is for?  I can understand asking for extra cleaning fee and maybe a fine for ignoring the no pets rules, but I agree that $1500 is extortionate, unless your dog destroyed things in the home. I think the host is just really pissed off that you came with a dog and if I were you, I wouldn't be arguing about whether it was my dog's poop or pee- that's just juvenile. You don't have to pay more, and you can ignore the host's threats- I really don't think anything will come of it, but please, in the future, book under your own account and don't bring a dog to a no pets listing. 

@Austin21 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I see that you are a host yourself. So how is it that you didn't know 3rd party bookings are against Airbnb policy and didn't bother to inform yourself of the house rules? 

I've read a lot of host posts saying that other hosts have been their worst guests, and this is a good example.

@Austin21

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Putting the fact you're a host to one side, @Austin21, I can't quite believe the entitlement factor you've demonstrated taking your dog along without checking it was OK. What if the host has some sort of allergy, what about if a future guest has? 

'My bad' might cut it for a teenager, but an adult fellow host? Grief.

Perhaps the money is to pay for a full clean up, not only for picking up dog crap/scrubbing the carpets. I'd want the entire place scrubbed after your stay.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Austin21 You don't allow pets at your listings. Why not? Surely it is no big deal if a guest brings a pet to your home so you might as well allow them.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

As the other hosts have noted, you, as a host of three listings,  really lost credibility with hosts on this forum with your entitled behavior as a guest.Too bad.