Help I really would appreciate advice from this community

Answered!
Belinda251
Level 2
Redwood City, CA

Help I really would appreciate advice from this community

I am a host in Tahoe and we are facing dire circumstances here between the pandemic and discontent of the Tahoe community.  I would be so grateful to get feedback from this online community regarding a current situation that I must respond to by tomorrow.

My guest booked a week stay at my Tahoe condo.   She canceled the night before she arrived, and due to AirBnb cancellation policy, they refunded $609.27 to her and left me with $467.30. 

Here is her justification for cancelling:  Due to fires in California,  air quality has become an issue in California and Nevada.  This guest is from San Francisco. She cancelled due to her concern for the bad air quality in Tahoe -  she is asthmatic and has a 3-month old.  However, air quality is better here than at her home in San Francisco.  She is asking for me to refund the entire amount and credit her the remaining $467.30 she did not get back.  

AirBnB support is recommending that I refund the entire amount.  Here is their rationale: To quote them: "Airbnb has to give these options to our Guests. In fact, I am sure if I had been in that situation, I would also have cancelled my reservation, because this pandemic is dangerous."

Pandemic?  This has nothing to do with the pandemic.  For the pandemic I am losing income by requiring 24-hours between guest stays and paying extra for cleanings.

I do have compassion for her concerns, but am having difficulty why I must take all responsibility for something completely out of my control.

Please tell me what you would do?

Warm Regards,

Belinda

1 Best Answer
Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Belinda251 

What confuses me about this is that pandemic has been ongoing in the USA since March 2020, we are now in September and the fires have been creating destruction since last month (I think), your policy is set at moderate meaning she could have cancelled five days before her stay quite comfortably- its not as if her concerns onset recently.

I sympathise with the guests but as a host I understand how stressful, expensive and emotionally draining this situation is and my best advice is to do what best sits with you as it's your business. However, you can always say that you are happy to refund any monies recieved from replacement bookings (if you feel generous) but honestly the cancellation policy was written out for when she confirmed her booking. Regarding what Airbnb recommend, I would ignore them, unless they are returning the guest her service fee aswell. Often the resort to emotional manipulation (at least this is how it felt to me). 

Good luck and stay safe! 🙂

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Belinda251 

What confuses me about this is that pandemic has been ongoing in the USA since March 2020, we are now in September and the fires have been creating destruction since last month (I think), your policy is set at moderate meaning she could have cancelled five days before her stay quite comfortably- its not as if her concerns onset recently.

I sympathise with the guests but as a host I understand how stressful, expensive and emotionally draining this situation is and my best advice is to do what best sits with you as it's your business. However, you can always say that you are happy to refund any monies recieved from replacement bookings (if you feel generous) but honestly the cancellation policy was written out for when she confirmed her booking. Regarding what Airbnb recommend, I would ignore them, unless they are returning the guest her service fee aswell. Often the resort to emotional manipulation (at least this is how it felt to me). 

Good luck and stay safe! 🙂

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Belinda251 

There is a special "extenuating circumstance policy" regarding Corona. It will give full refund  if guest booked before 15 March 2020 or otherwise if guest is infected.

I assume the guest cancelled the reservation herself, so the normal cancellation policy applies.

Airbnb is not mentioning the guest has after cancelling claimed for "extenuating circumstances" (not Corona related, for example like the fire issue)

BTW

If the normal cancelation policy appies, it also means Airbnb will NOT refund the Airbnb Service Costs charged to the guest.

So if the above is correct, it is up to your good will if you want to refund some more, but there is no obligation.

Suggestions:

1. If you can rebook all or some nights of the cancelled reservation , you can decide to give some extra refund, but not all

2. If not, just keep the money.

best regards,

Emiel

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Emiel1 did you read the original post. Cancellation was nothing to do with Covid and was the day before arrival so I don't think your advice will help.

@Belinda251 I would inform the guest that they left the cancellation too late for you to get re-booked so you cannot refund her.

@Belinda251  Airbnb seems to have made it their default internal policy that if a guest doesn't qualify for an exemption to your cancellation policy, they will still try to pressure you on their behalf. The operator who contacted you was probably just repeating some boilerplate - you can tell, because obviously they were quoting the party line about Covid cancellations when this had nothing to do with it.

Both Airbnb and the guest are treating you as though you're the de facto insurance policy, which you are not. I can understand the guest's rationale for cancelling - even though the air quality in SF is worse, presumably one goes to Tahoe for outdoor activities and not to stay inside with the windows closed, and anyway wildfire season is not an ideal time for asthmatics to be taking a road trip across California. 

I would advise the guest to provide the Airbnb receipt to her travel insurer (ha), wish her well and end the correspondence; the booking is no longer active so you aren't required to engage with it any further.  If you get another contact from Airbnb support, you might remind them that if they're so concerned about giving guests "options," they're fully capable of giving them Travel Credits and not taking those options out of your own pocket.

Andrew,

Thank you so much for your reply.  You are so right.  I am not the insurer!  

Currently AirBnB has escalated the issue.  It is now out of the hands of the guest or me.  Times are really tough here for everyone.  I don't blame her for cancelling.  I am distressed that it was the night before and that she insists on getting a complete refund without consideration of the difficulty she has created.

I so appreciate that you have taken time to reply as it helps me to feel a little more sane about my view.

Warm Regards,

Belinda

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Airbnb will always pressurise hosts to refund guests more than they are entitled to under your cancellation policy. Just refuse. @Belinda251 

I would just confirm to the guest that any refund will be given in line with the cancellation policy the booked under. But as a gesture of good will on your part if any of the days get re-booked you will consider a proportional refund.

Confirm your area is still suitable for visiting  and air quality hasn’t been affected (if this is true). 

Belinda251
Level 2
Redwood City, CA

Just in case you were wondering the end of this saga:  AirBnB decided to give a full refund to the guest and refunded over $1K back to them.  

Here is their justification - 

"After reviewing the reservation in question, I can confirm that your guest, Marta Losa, canceled their reservation under our extenuating circumstances policy.

Our extenuating circumstances policy applies to certain reservations impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and allows guests to cancel and receive a full refund including all of our fees. The policy applies to situations like natural disasters and this pandemic where guests could not foresee the disruption to their travel. During this pandemic we believe it is important that guests and hosts not feel pressured to put themselves in unsafe situations, or contribute to the spread of the virus."

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. (except for AirBnB)

Belinda

@Belinda251  Unbelievable, that anyone at a San Francisco-based company can say with a straight face that wildfires are "unforeseeable" in California in September. 

Guests should feel pressured to check the cancellation policy and buy appropriate travel insurance when they book. They should feel pressured to limit their leisure budgets to an amount they can afford to lose if their plans change (financial literacy 101). To suggest that someone would feel "pressured" to put themselves in danger because they didn't get a full refund is so infantilizing.  Anyone who can't weigh a risk against a loss without third-party intervention, or make their own contingency plan, needs to finish growing up before they're sent out into the world with a credit card.