Help Needed - Guest Review Blackmailing - Reviews under Dispute

Sofia380
Level 2
Boadilla del Monte, Spain

Help Needed - Guest Review Blackmailing - Reviews under Dispute

Hi,

Have a dispute open with last Guest, and requested full security deposit. Guests smoked in the property, both cleaners and next guest that arrived same day in the evening noticed a strong tobacco smell, and cleaners found lot of finished cigarettes, some in the toilet, all picture proof.

Airbnb will have to resolve, as the Guest is not recognizing despite the evidence and very clear policy under Airbnb terms, non smoking property...Guest is blackmailing me with a bad review.

I am asking for help to get advice on how to react, I consider unfair someone can review my property whenever there is a dispute in progress with strong evidence. Neither the host nor the guest will have a real and honest review whenever there is a dispute.

Any perspectives or ideas on how to proceed would be really appreciated. 

5 Replies 5
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Sofia380 That threat would be a violation of the review policy. If they made it on platform, and follow through, the review can be removed.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2673/airbnbs-review-policy

In situations like this, it’s best to initially let the guest think they got away with their transgression. Smile and wave as they leave, and simply say ‘thanks for staying!’ Document any issues. Immediately leave the guest an honest review, detailing the transgression. Hopefully they leave theirs immediately as well. If they don’t, hold off until they do. Their review will not be retaliatory if they suspect they got away with their shenanigans. Once that’s done, submit your claim. 

Airbnb has changed the process and claims don’t have to be submitted before the next guest checks in. We now have 14 days to report damage, which is, unfortunately, still within the review window. Guest will of course refuse to pay, and it will escalate to Airbnb, who will refuse as well, as they most often do. Raise your rates just a bit and start putting the extra aside into a damage fund. Then there is no need to bother with guest or Airbnb. 

Look at how you can improve your guest screening process. If I had to guess, there would have been a red flag or two with this guest that you over looked. On Airbnb, prevention is the name of the game. Keeping sketchy guests out is key. Once they are in the door, you will always be behind the 8 ball. 

Sofia380
Level 2
Boadilla del Monte, Spain

Thanks a lot Colleen for your response,

Unfortunately blackmailing is happening over whatswapp not Airbnb

I think is quite smart to provide the review right after they leave, so they think they are covered, will definitely try next time. This time I didnt know and I was really upset next customer with young babies got impacted.

Screening is king agreed, I am learning the hard way after few years working with Airbnb, have to say, I dont experience these problems with other platforms, not sure why. I am only admitting other hosts reviewed guests now. 

My biggest and ultimate point, that really concerns me, and don't really see in other platforms is how Airbnb is so unfair and unbalanced in these situations. Whenever there is a dispute there shouldnt be any reviews in any side, host or guest, is a claim not a review, is a confrontational situation that never leaves to an honest and balanced review, neither the host nor the guest.

Best regards.

@Sofia380  Do not communicate with guests over Whatsapp. 

@Sofia380 Because it was on Whatsapp, you have no recourse. Keep all communication on platform so Airbnb can see the message thread.

You see more guest issues on Airbnb because they cultivate bad guest behavior with their guest centric policies. This is why screening and prevention is important. Airbnb's priority is guests, keeping them happy at all cost, and booking more stays. Guests pay the high service fees, not hosts. And there are more than enough hosts to go around, with new ones waiting in the wings. "Airbnb is so unfair and unbalanced in these situations" because they wish to discourage hosts from making claims against guests. If we live in fear of guests and their retaliatory bad reviews, we will leave them alone. And it works.

Work smarter, not harder.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Whether it's on platform or by any other means, you have little recourse anyway. We use WhatsApp with guests a lot, because of the sheer convenience. But for communications involving "issues", it's always obligatory to keep it on platform. 

@Colleen253 is absolutely right. The best way to avoid this is pre-book screening. If they haven't a profile or a good history, it's crucial to start asking a lot of questions. Their answers can speak volumes. And if you don't like their answers, you should scare them off (not decline them). Demand an unreasonable security deposit or tell them your boiler isn't working.

Just be patient. There's another booking to take their place. It's Airbnb's greatest strength. Use it. 

Very sorry this happened to you. Most experienced hosts have been bit before (sometimes repeatedly), and have learned by fire, how to circumvent it through wise screening. It's really the only cure.