Help Sri Lanka get back on its feet

Help Sri Lanka get back on its feet

Sri Lanka experienced one of the deadliest terror attacks. However the security has been restored and life is getting back to normal. We are all tourist dependent and would like to find ways as to how we can bring back the amazing ppl around the world to visit our island. 

10 Replies 10
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Ithquan1 

I am sorry it happened in Sri Lanka and how it affected your tourism. You can try to use Instagram and Facebook, it would be great if your tourist board/community could invite some influencers to come and stay for free in Sri Lanka for a couple of weeks and post on Instagram

@Branka-and-Silvia0 thats a great suggestion. However  that’s being done by some of the larger hotels. I doubt very much if the tourist board would be doing that sadly. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Ithquan1 

It was truly dreadful to see what happened in Sri Lanka and I hope your country and your people are getting the help you need to rebuild your lives. Our thoughts are with you.

I am sure your tourism office will look for ways to promote Sri Lanka  in partnership with your government. If you have a host group for Sri Lanka, why not see if you can meet with them to work on joint approaches

You could sugget to them organising a joint media trip for travel journalists staying in Airbnbs.

You could also speak to Airbnb corporately and see what support they could offer their hosts in Sri Lanka through their marketing fire power that could help promote your destination and perhaps help fiancially with marketing.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Ithquan1 

of course, they are not flexible and advanced enough, the same would be here...

I am afraid small private hosts alone can't do much about it, it should be an action on the national level.

Unfortunately, tourism is a very fragile industry and is strongly affected by the weather, natural disasters, and such events. I remember some 25 y. ago when a war in Croatia (former Yugoslavia) started. Our tourism was dead for a year or two even though 99,99 % of our coastline and all our islands (more than 50 inhabited ones) were unaffected and safe. 

The prices dropped down, hotels, plane tickets, restaurants... were ridiculously cheap ... At first, young and adventurous people start arriving on the  north coast (far from the war zone) and then, when the war was over, a few years later others start coming as well.

I am afraid Sri Lanka will have to drop all prices ( accommodation, transport, restaurants...) to the bare minimum, work strongly on safety and marketing, be patient and try to survive this season.

Interesting....The big bust for tourism in Croatia was the movie "Games of Thrones" filmed in Dubrovnik a few years ago and in 2018 when our football team was in the world cup semi-final. The most googled term last year was "where is Croatia" 🙂

Linda348
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Is there something Airbnb can do financially to help their hosts in Sri Lanka whose income has now gone down to zero?  Maybe other hosts from around the world could contribute and Airbnb match the amount?

@Linda348 that’s such a nice thought Linda and so kind of you. I sincerely don’t know how that could work though. However one thing for sure is that we are down to zero. 

We had such a promising future up up until now. However what would be great is if the Airbnb community promote Sri Lanka as must travel destination in keeping with the solidarity of a fallen destination and Airbnb reduce the commission as gesture of good will to help us back on our feet!

22AC841F-9866-4D4A-841B-0EF6099E483E.jpeg

Hi, thanks for all your important thoughts and efforts. Is there any possibility that Airbnb also support at this point to organize some sort of trip? Say.." A Host Trip to Sri Lanka" is an example. In this regard we also will make an extra committment through special rates for that trip and then we can promote hosts from around the world to visit Sri Lanka and at the end we can have a meeting or a short workshop. I also think that this is the time where global community support is highly required for Sri Lanka. From the first day to this month, my apartment has almost over 95% occupancy. But at present its questionnable. I am sure that when all of us add points and views we can make a good decison. Looking forward good cooperation from you all. Best Regards Samantha

Colombo is one of the 17 wetland cities in the World
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would suggest you contact Airbnb @Ithquan1  on their social media and ask how you can work with them to help rebuild tourism and Sri Lanka.

Do you have a Sri Lanka host group. If not setting one up would be a good start.

@Helen3 we don’t have a host group per say, I will look at creating one.  Will follow up on the social media angle with Airbnb. 

Thanks Helan. Yes it is a very good idea.

Colombo is one of the 17 wetland cities in the World