Help from Airbnb when property is unacceptable and misrepresented

Tim2247
Level 1
Littleton, CO

Help from Airbnb when property is unacceptable and misrepresented

I leased an Airbnb property in Laguna Hills for 40 days. Early April to mid May 2020. It is for 2 pilots who are on 24/7 standby call for flight operations, some in support of the COVID 19 pandemic. There is no cell phone coverage at the home. The host knew our mission, knew that the home did not have adequate communication ability, and failed to inform us. We need to drive to a different location to talk on the phone. I have missed several important calls from the company. He states we should use WiFi calling and download 3rd party apps to remedy the situation. This does not work. It is an unacceptable situation and he has refused to provide a prorated refund. 
Secondly, the property itself is nothing like it’s represented in the listing. Provided soapProvided soapWiFi set upWiFi set upHad to buy a bathtub plugHad to buy a bathtub plugDinnerware collectionDinnerware collectionGlasswareGlasswareActual  fire pitActual fire pitHost provided fire pit photoHost provided fire pit photoHost provided  viewHost provided viewActual home viewActual home viewNumerous bulbs burned outNumerous bulbs burned outProvided cookwareProvided cookware It is rundown and unacceptable. Photos from the site are added along with photos I’ve taken. They are nothing alike. I hand to buy a plug for the bathtub as well as a pan to cook as the provided utensils were old and rusted. The dishes and cutlery is a myriad collection of hand me downs. The homes WiFi is set on chair. I read they are supposed to provide a bar of soap. I found a used bar under the sink. 
I have requested a refund both personally to the host as well as through the official Airbnb site. Both refused. Do I have any recourse? Will Airbnb contact me or is there a phone number/email where I can communicate directly with them? 
I am not a high maintenace tenant. Past reviews will reflect that. I just want, and actually need, what I was promised. Thanks for your help. 
Sorry, can’t figure out how to configure or straighten pics. You get the idea.

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tim2247  The protocol when you arrive to find a place unacceptable is to first contact the host, giving them an opportunity to remedy the situation, and if that isn't possible, or the host refuses or doesn't care, to call Airbnb to cancel right away, stating that the place is inaccurately described, lacks the amenities shown and described in the listing, etc. 

If this is what you did, then you'll just have to try contacting customer service again- it's a sad fact that you'll get a completely different respnse from one CS rep than another, so you just have to be persistent until you get an understanding, helpful rep. No, Airbnb will seldom contact you- you could easily die holding your breath on that one. You could try contacting them through their Twitter account-that is said to get better responses.

If you do get a refund, be aware that it will probably only be for unstayed nights of the booking, although personally I think you are entitled to more back than that, due to the circumstances. 

Did it say anywhere in the listing that there was no cell service at the house?  One thing I'll say is that it's never a good idea to assume anything with an Airbnb, since they are all so different- a guest should certainly be able to assume that the place is accurately described, but assuming that there is cell reception isn't a good idea if you are reliant on it, as most people are to some degree, and you to a large degree. This holds true for many assumptions re Airbnbs- if someone is allergic to dogs, for instance, just because a listing says "No pets" doesn't mean the owner doesn't have a dog (altho most hosts will mention that in their listing info), it just means they don't accept guest pets. So if a guest is allergic, they should always take responsibility for their own health and double check before booking.

Thanks Sarah. I’m just waiting for Airbnb is contact me. I’ve run into a wall with the host. No mention of the cell service, or lack thereof, in the listing. All I’m looking for is a prorated refund for unused nights so I can go somewhere else. It wasn’t an inexpensive listing. 
Thanks for the reply. I’ll sit here and hold my breath. 

Have you contacted your card company for the unused nights. 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Are you asking to be rehoused, @Tim2247 , or are you saying you will stay and that you just want a refund? Are there places still available in that area? Even hotels? That might be the answer. When did you notice the descriptions were inaccurate? The policy says, "Within 24 hours, for any eligible issue you notice upon check-in, contact us and we’ll rebook you an equal or better stay, or refund you 100% of your money."

Did you contact them within 24 hours of check-in? Within 24 hours of noticing what was wrong?

If you want to stay and are requesting a refund, it is trickier. Don't make mismatched dinnerware part of your complaint. Stick to the promised cell phone coverage. He did promise you that your cell provider would work from his home, is that right? No refund is going to fix that. You have to move to another listing.

Re getting in touch: you could try Twitter. Connect to that on-the-chair wifi and send a direct message to AirbnbHelp. 

All the best! Hope you get a response! It is awful to need a certain amenity and find it is not there. It is awful to find that a description is not accurate.

Hi Lawrene. Appreciate the reply. I’m just asking for a prorated refund of nights remaining, which still number 24. Ugh! I just want to get my $’s remaining back so I can move to a new place with cell service. 
No, there was no discussion beforehand about cell coverage, or lack thereof. Didn’t think I needed to clarify that in the 21st century in SoCal. If he knew i was on call, which he did, and he knew there is no coverage here then I think it would have been his responsibility to let me know. At least from a professional standpoint. 
Unfortunately a junior pilot was the first guy to stand duty in the house and he was reticent about voicing any displeasure. So I didn’t know until I got here 5 days ago. So no, didn’t let them know within 24 hours. Thanks for your help. 

@Tim2247  As I guess you've figured out, you can't expect much intervention from Airbnb if you didn't follow their procedures and report the Travel Issue in time. (I realize, you got there later and couldn't do this yourself, but the obligation falls on whatever portion of the party is there on the check-in date).

Even so, though, I'm not sure if any of your complaints qualify as eligible criteria under the guest refund quality. The fire pit, for example, was shot from a flattering angle in nicer weather (like a Tinder profile shot) but despite looking a little worn-down it appears to do what it's supposed to. The dishes and glasses may not be to your taste, but that's not really a refund issue. And nobody cancels a 40-day booking just because they didn't like the frying pan  (most hosts would replace a light bulb and frying pan if you asked).

The primary issue for you is the lack of cell phone coverage - but that is not an inclusive amenity, and it's not within the host's control. I don't know how familiar you are with the LA area but even some of the wealthiest neighborhoods have really weak and spotty coverage. Cell-phone issues are not on Airbnb's list of refundable concerns -  generally, if any particular feature that's not explicitly covered in the listing is of essential importance to the guest, it's the guest's responsibility to inquire about it. 

You're a good communicator, so hopefully you will be able to reach some kind of compromise with the host. But I don't recommend accusing him of false advertising as your opening act.