Help hosting in Salt Lake City

Hollie5
Level 1
West Jordan, UT

Help hosting in Salt Lake City

Hi all, 

Reaching out to anyone in Salt Lake City currently hosting. I would like to start and want to know where to begin. I am having a hard time finding rules and regulations for my city on Airbnb's website, and I know there are some things related to 30-day minimums. However, there are several hosts in my area and Airbnb stays bring in a TON of money here, so I know people are hosting (I don't believe everyone is hosting guests for 30 days min). Any advice and support would be appreciated!

THANK YOU

44 Replies 44
Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Hollie5,

Welcome to the Community Center!

You may find other hosts here who are from your area, we also have Home Sharing Clubs which allow you to connect with other local hosts. There isn't currently one for Salt Lake City, but if you're interested, you could start one up. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you can register your interested in creating one.

Happy Hosting!

Kirstie

Deb73
Level 1
Cottonwood Heights, UT

Hollie, it all depends on where you live in the valley. I am in Cottonwood Heights. Was told 30 days only. The regulations are a bit confusing. I had a neighbor or an ex that thought they could get me in trouble.  Got a not to call the officer in charge of ordinances. 

All my guest are 30 days presently so no problem. I am going to go get more clarification. Cause ski season will be here soon. Most are a week or two.  I am going to send the city codes to my attorney and also talk to the city in person. Will post what I find out.  

Elsa46
Level 3
Cottonwood Heights, UT

Hollie and others, I too am in Cottonwood Heights.  We who are in Abnb need to go to the Cottonwood Heights meeting on Nov 1, 2017 at the CH City Hall on Bengal BLV at 5 or 6 pm.  They will be discussing ABNB, I went to a neighborhood meeting last week and they said this subject is a can of worms.  There were people who didn't like the idea yet some didn't seem to see what the problem is.  You can call me [Phone number hiddden].  We need to show up in numbers and give our positive and imput into embrassing visitors into our neighborhood for so many good reasons.  I know you are new at this but you are the 3rd person I have reached out to to get to the City Hall.

Elsa46
Level 3
Cottonwood Heights, UT

wow didnt mean to put embarssing! embrace is the word

Elsa46
Level 3
Cottonwood Heights, UT

The meeting is on Nov 8th According to the Cottonwood Heights Newspaper. 6:30pm I was told

Elsa46
Level 3
Cottonwood Heights, UT

B2AEAD61-76B4-4459-8295-F05031D3D51B.jpegThe meeting is on Nov 8th According to the Cottonwood Heights Newspaper. 6:30pm I was told

Elsa46
Level 3
Cottonwood Heights, UT

Deb, please look at my reply to Hollie and give me a call.  If you are interested maybe between the 2 of us we could get a community of ABNB folks together in the Cottonwood Area.  Right now the numbers are important to get them to the City Hall meeting on Nov. 1st.  I have been hosting just over a year and I have experienced all really good guest.  We could make our surrounding neighbors more at ease with our small business.

Elsa46
Level 3
Cottonwood Heights, UT

I applied today for home club today with Airbnb.  See if if I am granted for Cottonwood Heights 

I would be interested in joining the group.  I'm also in CottonWood Heights. 

Elsa46
Level 3
Cottonwood Heights, UT

Deb please come to City Hall on Nov 8th 6:30 pm on Bengal Blvd. City officials will be hitting our topic of abnb/ similar dwellings.  I have been reaching out to host in CH to come to the meeting, otherwise we will get regulations we don’t need when the abnb concept is a win win for most people.  We have got to educate and change some old ordinances that can make most people and complainers happy.

I would love to know what you have found out about Cottonwood Heights City Ordinances/Codes. I was managing the cleaning for a house in Ctnwd. Heights and the (grumpy) neighbor turned them in. They are doing the 30 day thing like you, but it has not been booked since they changed. I'm a host since 2012 in Sandy, no problems like this thank goodness! If you'd please contact me I'd really like to speak with you! Don't know if they allow phone number exchange here? But it's the typical Utah area code, but try this -  5 rooms, 9 guests, 7 bathrooms. Nine years, two kids, eight divorces, 4 marriages.  Try that and hopefully you'll reach me. If not, my listing is called "Skier's Dream, Scenic Sandy".

Deb,

What did you find out.  I rent out a room for 6 months to a year to survive and I've heard about this but can't find the exact rules.  Surely, you can have a roomate?

sincerely,

Mr Rogers.

Elsa46
Level 3
Cottonwood Heights, UT

Hi Deb, can you share what your resolve was with the attorney and the city?  This year the city has been delivering citations more than ever.  A few of us have changed to 30 plus days.  Sure would like to chat if you are willing.  Sandy city just got their short term stays approved.  I am going to dig around with Sandy City and see what was done to accept short term stays.

Katie201
Level 4
Salt Lake City, UT

Hi, @Hollie5! I host in Sugar House and my husband, who is an attorney, has looked into the regulations here in Salt Lake and found that, essentially, though it is not strictly legal, hosts will only get in trouble if neighbors complain. West Jordan is a different municipality but he couldn't really find anything specific about short-term rentals there, so I'd assume it's the same as Salt Lake. Our neighbors know we host (we rent out the entire main floor and we live in the newly finished basement) and they're cool with it and we just make sure to stay in their good graces so we can keep hosting.