Help - question from canceled guest and I can't find the answer

Suzanne323
Level 1
Saint Petersburg, FL

Help - question from canceled guest and I can't find the answer

Hello,  My guest was going to stay June 9-12 and I have a moderate cancelation policy and she canceled in plenty of time so it should have been a full refund to her here's what she wrote:

"So I have received my $110 credit towards my $138.14 purchase. I was curious why I havnt received my entire credit. I read the rules an abided by them on my refund. When will i be receiving my entire credit."

When I got the note I scrolled down and in "total payment" it's says $28.38 and is in a RED color.  Why is there a difference?

Thanks so much I've researched and researched and can't figure this out.

Suzanne

7 Replies 7
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Suzanne323 

My first guess is that the guest has to pay the Airbnb Service fees. Airbnb will still keep these unless the reservation is canceled within 48 hours of making the booking. But that doesn't make sense if you can see some amount. It should just say 0.00 if your cancelation policy didn't apply and they were given a refund.

That's why I'm confused beause it should say zero??

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

I agree @Suzanne323  with @Emilia42. If not the service fee, then I don’t know what. However, the guest’s complaint or problem is with Airbnb, not you...

All you can do is state in a friendly manner that you have not received any monies from Airbnb as she had not commenced her stay with you. All her monetary concerns or queries need to be directed to Airbnb. You can apologise to her for being unable to assist, and wish her well. That keeps the door open for any future rapport or booking from her if you want.  

🙂

That's a great idea thanks!

@Suzanne323 

Agree with @Cathie19  and @Emilia42 , for cancellations prior to check in hosts recieve no payouts so the cancellation is just between Airbnb and the guest - therefore nothing for the host to do. 

The problem is.......most guests are not aware of this.

I've found it's best to explain how payment works, that hosts aren't paid until the day after the guest actually checks in. All of my guests were very surprised to hear that Airbnb holds onto their money for so long before paying hosts (my guests usually book at least 1 month in advance) and that hosts don't know how much guests are actually charged because the guest service fee added onto the booking total is not shared with hosts. I also like to send the following links so the guest can read and confirm I am telling the truth 🙂 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1338/how-is-my-refund-calculated-if-i-cancel-my-reservation?q=re...

How is my refund calculated if I cancel my reservation?

Your refund is calculated according to your host’s cancellation policy. A host's cancellation policy can be found in the Prices section of their listing.

Your host sets the policy for the accomodation fee refund, but Airbnb service fees are non-refundable. If you cancel before check-in, you won’t be charged for cleaning fees.

Moderate cancellation policies

Get a full refund of accommodation fees if you cancel 5 or more days before check-in.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/43/what-happens-if-my-guest-cancels?q=payout

Thanks so much for the help!  I'll send her an update!

Suzanne323
Level 1
Saint Petersburg, FL

Ok just wrote the guest with all your suggestions. Hopefully that will help....it's still weird why the cancellantion isn't at $0 but I really can't do anymore at this point.   Thanks fellow airbnbers for the assistance!!!!!