Hi Everyone!

Hi Everyone!

Hi everyone. Im new to this site and have a problem that when someone makes an order to my place the price of 2 guest stays the same as 1 guest.

Any idea?

thanx

itay

13 Replies 13
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Itay6 I guess you didn't set the price according to what you expect. Go to pricing and set the price for any extra guest. The screenshot below is from my settings over there:

extra_charges.jpg

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Kim307
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

I’m in a somewhat similar situation where, I have had multiple guests book as singular, yet bring partners or midnight visitors.

how do I report this to Airbnb, I am hesitant to contact the guests directly, as it may affect my rating?

Hello @Kim307,  You have two listings, private room and entire house.  Both are priced similarly.  According to your listings,  a single person can book the whole house for the same price as the private room.  Don't think this is what you intended. Right?

You might want to have a rate for the entire house listed at 3 times more and then add in the extra charge per person after 3 guests.

Air BNB does not have per person nightly rate so it would be best to change that sentence in your listing.  Your nightly rate is for the listing.  You have kept your rate low which is good, but your extra guest charge is almost the same as your nightly rate.  So many people travel as couples your listing appears deceptive to charge an extra charge when essentially there is little additional expense for the second guest. 

Many people are used to hotels and most hotels do not add a per person charge and don't restrict registered guests from having visitors.  Since Air BNB is different, then you need to make it clear that only registered guests are allow in the place.  In addition to it being a rule you could also should reiterate it in a welcoming message.

When a guest breaks the rule and brings an unregistered guest into the space: Message that guest advising of the rule being broken, get information about the extra person and send a request for additional money.  If the guest does not accept or cooperate, contact Air BNB and have the booking cancelled and the guest relocated.  Give a thumbs down review.  If guest accepts responsibility and pays, the review could be less harsh but still the fact that the rule was broken should be noted.

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

@Kim307, it's not clear which of your listings you're referring to - one has 26 for one person and then also 26 for the second person - I'm guessing it's that one. You might consider raising the price for one person and then lowering it for the second, e.g. 30 for one person and 20 for the second person etc. - give them a slight

You might consider raising the price for one person and then lowering it for the second, e.g. 30 for one person and 20 for the second person etc. - give them a slight incentive to be honest. Also I'm guessing that the second person is not nearly as much work as the first e.g. you have to clean, etc. for just one as much as for two.  You might end up getting paid more by lowering the price for the second guest, ironically, by getting more "honest" 2 person bookings at 50 total, rather than only occasionally at 52.  

Kim307
Level 2

Thank you both so much for your feedback.

In South Africa most hotels and bed and breakfasts are on a rate based as ‘Per Person sharing’ rates. Which is what I assumed Airbnb ran as, which is why we kept the rate the same.

Our issue is, often people book out the 2 bedroom unit, and book as 1 person, but use both rooms. Which does take on additional cleaning of sheets. 

We also provide amenities as per amount of people booked (

Kim307
Level 2

Ie cups, plates etc) they get irritated if we don’t supply for unauthorized guests.

i don’t want to approach them and risk a bad review, however, things like additional parking spaces, additional bedroom cleaning, and people who have not been briefed on our security measures, are entering and exiting (leaving our gates open and setting off alarms) etc.

would like to know if there is a way of addressing them, without risking a bad review

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @Kim307

You have to stop 1 or 2 of them booking the entire place, the listings should be:

Cosy bedroom for 1 or 2 guests

2 bedroom guest house for 3-4-5 or 6 guests, alter your booking settings to stop 1 or 2 guests book.

Untitled.jpg

edit :If you want to rent out both double rooms to seperate guests you will have to make another listing.

Kim307
Level 2

Thanks Jeff,

we have already activated this function for after 1 guest.

however, guests book as 1 person staying, and bring additional people without clearing it with us as hosts

@Kim307  On this forum, as hosts from around the world with a wide range of experience, all we can offer is our best understanding of how a listing needs to be set up to maximize your success.  Like myself, other hosts are trying to help you understand that a single guest can book your entire house for the same rate as booking your single room.  If you object, you run the risk of the guest complaining and Air BNB ultimately suspending or removing your listing.  Please understand that Air BNB may not be like other experiences you have had.

That being said, you cannot run your business in fear of a bad review.  The tools you have with Air BNB include the Air BNB messaging system that is visible to Air BNB staff and the ability to request additional funds.  Either the guest is ignorant of the rules or is trying to get away with something.  Doesn't matter.  You can enforce your rules.  Air BNB will back you up as long as you have been clear both on your listing and in your communication to the guest.  We all wish you continued success  in this business.

Kim307
Level 2

Thank you so much for this.

Every piece of feedback is really really appreciated.

apologies if my explanations came across in the wrong way, I was merely explaining how our local environment work.

i would absolutely love to put a total amount on our listing, however, 90% of our bookings are local. Should I make it higher, our local clientele will believe it is a per person rate, and we will not get

Kim307
Level 2

As much business.

Nonetheless, I really appreciate every piece of advice. Thank you all for your assistance. 

Martha435
Level 2
Bradford-on-Avon, United Kingdom

Hi 

Add different prices on Extra Guest 

Your posting, @Martha435 , is in a very old discussion thread and frankly does not make any sense to me and perhaps other hosts.  How about you start your own discussion thread and elaborate a bit more on what you need input about 😄