Hidden cameras - How prevalent is this?

Emily1128
Level 2
Ballincollig, Ireland

Hidden cameras - How prevalent is this?

Just wondering how prevalent the issue of hidden cameras really is. I've stayed in around 7 ABBs and it never once crossed my mind to check! We're based in Europe though so maybe it's a US thing?

Does anyone check every single place they stay and have they ever found any?

I travel with kids and we all tend towards partial nudity in hot places. All of our stays so far have been excellent so would really hate to start getting paranoid about these things. Also, most places we stay seem to be listed elsewhere, such as on Booking.com, so wouldn't it be an issue with the hospitality sector in general as opposed to just Airbnb?

7 Replies 7
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Many hosts are resorting to cameras at the door for managing guests coming and going.  Some hosts have cameras in non guest spaces for personal protection.  All cameras are to be disclosed in the listing.  If you find a camera and there is no disclosure, you can report the host, ask for relocation.  Most probably if you can prove the cameras, the listing will be suspended.  Air BNB takes this violation very seriously.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Emily1128  If hosts have cameras, they need to be disclosed in the listing info, as Linda said, and they are mostly used to focus on the areas where people are entering or leaving the premises. Many hosts have issues with guests booking for 2 or 4 people and then sneaking in another 8, or throwing a rager party. I understand being uncomfortable, especially if you like to walk around without much on in warm weather (I can relate), and I don't like cameras myself, but it would be a rare host who would be interested in that sort of thing- cameras are there for security, not spying. Outside cameras can also be to the guests' benefit, as they would catch anyone who tried to break into the house.

Emily1128
Level 2
Ballincollig, Ireland

I guess I just wonder how careful to be when booking places to stay. We always choose full homes, not private rooms, and will always check reviews. Generally, however, it's the location/convenience that sells it for us. I've actually never come across security cameras, listed or otherwise, though perhaps we travel to smaller places that don't attract the younger, more party-oriented crowd. Would it be "safer" to stick with homes listed across different platforms, as they would be more established businesses? I can't imagine who would risk losing everything after going to all that effort.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm not sure about hidden cameras per se, @Emily1128, but (judging by what I've read on this/other forums) our American cousins seem to have more of a surveillance set-up mentality, even in common areas.

I wouldn't stay anywhere with indoor cameras and this attitude has often come with a 'what have you to hide' response.

I've got a nest camera on my driveway, but that's more of a tool to shout 'leave the package outside' when Amazon calls 🙂   

Yes, I was thinking it must be a US thing. I don't know anyone who has security cameras beyond the usual cctv in apartment buildings! I certainly wouldn't stay anywhere with disclosed cameras. It would be impossible to relax. I guess I'll just ask hosts face-to-face whenever we arrive anywhere, assuming they haven't mentioned any cameras in the listing.

@Emily1128 after resisting for a long time, we just recently installed one exterior camera facing outward on the driveway. The reason: two unauthorized parties thrown in our vacation rental by Airbnb guests. The camera records cars entering and exiting the property, but nothing that occurs on the property. We list on multiple booking sites and disclose the camera on all of them, hoping that the disclosure itself will prevent any problems. I'm curious about how guests will feel about it. Would this kind of camera placement deter you from booking?

(FWIW:

https://www.howtogeek.com/411095/how-to-detect-hidden-surveillance-cameras-with-your-phone/

)

@Lisa723I would have no problem with exterior cameras. I've never encountered a place using them but it wouldn't deter me, no. It would deter people who are looking to bend the rules so I see your logic there. It could also make people uneasy about there possibly being other cameras inside the property, but you could just reassure them.