Can I hide or delete one of my reviews?

Answered!
Jacob21
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Can I hide or delete one of my reviews?

A guest I left a somewhat negative but truthful review a while ago has asked if I can remove it as he is having trouble finding new hosts. I feel as though it has been long enough. Is there a way to hide my review or delete it?

1 Best Answer
Breanna
Community Manager
Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

You can learn more about editing reviews in this Airbnb Help Center article: Editing a review you wrote

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

28 Replies 28

Well, we booked both her properties 5 minutes away from each other and paid double to respect the maximum 5 guest per house limit. It was my elderly father and his partner, my sister and her partner in the house I booked - I stayed in her other property with my partners booking. She was also made fully aware and agreed to this arrangements prior to our stay. We were at the property watching my family cleaning up before we left first for the snow. We even carried all rubbish in the car with us as she strictly told us she doesn't want to deal with any rubbish. 

The reason why I find trouble with her review is that I know that my family left her property in a reasonably clean manner eg: all dishes cleaned, all surfaces wiped, all items put back to its home. The only thing we could think of is that perhaps they did not make the beds but I think it's fair to say that this should not warrant that response? I should add that she did not leave any dishwashing detergent etc for them so it was washed thoroughly with what they could use and no drying rack. What I am challenging is to find reasonable grounds for her claims as if she expected us to make the beds etc then she could have listed that so we had a better chance of understanding what she wasn't happy with. This is not our first Airbnb and we always leave happy hosts so we do care seeing as this is the first negative review. We'd just appreciate it if it were a fair review that's all.. 

Jill also never wanted to speak to me when I booked and asked questions, it was only when my partner who didn't have an Asian accent called her to discuss the extra booking that was when she responded.

Anyways, we all learnt a very important lesson to leave brutally honest reviews in the future so if the host decides to make large claims that way, we would have not spared the truth in place of courtesy. We thought as long as the place had a bed and a bathroom, nevermind the negatives, it is a person's home and business after all. This was the first time I felt that way about any host as you can see from our past reviews. 

Anyways, don't think I thanked you for your input so thank you. At this point I'd leave it as I  think it is futile to discuss this as we know our truth in this matter. Let bygones be bygones. 

@Priscilla99  Did they smoke in a non smoking home? This is a big no no on their part and I can see why she was upset about it. I would be too. But truth be told according to AirBnB's own policy and TOS, both your review and her review could/should be removed by AirBnB as it was a 3rd party booking and she cannot judge you or rate you nor you her as you did not stay at the actual property. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi  @Priscilla99 

I think your post has highlighted the risk of letting others use your profile to book accommodation through Airbnb.

I would suggest going forward it would be better for your family members to set up their own profile.

Hi guys, sorry I missed the comments, to be honest I don't really care anymore as there is no foreseable action that can be taken. To clarify no, no one smoked inside her house as per her rules. She jumped to conclusions with that. Further to emphasise on her part is not having a clean and tidy property to begin with and not providing dish towels/dish rack if she wanted them dried for her, also sponge and detergent (it was cleaned regardless, she was just upset we didn't put the wet plates into the cabinet).

Basically I am aware of what happened and had further exchanges with her to clarify the situation and we know the true scenario. The basis of her unhappy review is 1. Smoking in the property and 2. No tidying, both points when clarified boiled down to either a poor assumption on her side OR/AND unrealistic expectations on cleanliness based off what she provided to clean. As far as we are aware we drove 3 hours back with all our rubbish in our car as she requested and slept in dusty beds, so take it as you will. 

Points that are obvious eg- don't book for others and leave honest reviews are noted. At the very least I'd book for my parents with their own profiles but will have to assist. As for honest reviews, no bars will be held since that experience. thanks guys!! 

This is something similar to what we have dealt with. I’m sorry you’re in the same boat 

Nat75
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

I booked a flat where the host promised certain facilities that were critical for us. He didn't provide those facilities and he gave all sorts of reasons as to why not during our stay. When I checked out and asked for a partial refund for everyday we did not have the promised facilities, the host became really nasty and made up a review full of lies. Saying things like the neighbours told him we were entertaining all sorts of men all night etc. He told a lot of lies some of which airbnb knew were lies because the host had sent messages throughout stay to the contrary. He literally just went on a revenge trip and literally made up lies. Airbnb did not care even though they refunded me nearly 50% of the cost in recognition that the host had not provided promised facilities. I could not believe that airbnb would let him get away with it even though they had evidence to the contrary provided in messages from the host. I will never use this site again and so am closing my account. Luckily my solicitors have taken up the case so he may yet get his come uppance.

@Nat75  I'm sorry you had a bad experience and that the host was not being responsible. But the correct protocol when you arrive to find an accomodation not as described is to right away contact the host (which you did), and if he is not willing or able to remedy the situation, to contact Airbnb, who will give you some options, one of which is that they will cancel the rest of your stay and hopefully be able to rehouse you. You don't just stay the whole time you booked for and then ask for and expect a full refund after the fact, as staying without contacting Airbnb to discuss the situation indicates that you were okay with the place, in spite of what wasn't right. Whether the listing was as described or not, continuing to stay means the host has expenses associated with your booking- utilities, amenities, laundry, etc. So if you avail yourself of those things, you can't reasonably expect a full refund.

Exact same thing happening to me right now 

Noureen1
Level 2
New Jersey, United States

I had a pretty lousy experience with my latest stay. He said we left the house very messy (which is far from the truth), we followed all the common courtesy rules (kept garbage bagged and in the respective place as requested), washed all the plates and utensils, even stripped the beds and put all the towels in the area requested. This on top of the $125 cleaning fee. He said his cleaning person have us a "D"??? I'm sorry I know for sure we didn't trash the place. I want to remove my positive review so other ppl don't go through the same thing I did! Next time I'm taking pictures of my stay before and after.

Alex9228
Level 1
Las Vegas, NV

it is fair to charge a cleaning fee yet still leave a bad review because you actually have to clean after your guests?

@Alex9228 It depends if you left the house in a reasonable fashion or partied it up and left rubbish all over. If you left the house like an adult would ,as in trash out, dishes washed, then the host only has to vacumn . strip beds , sort trash ,wash and replace all linens , check everything , like tvs , still work , mop floors , clean bathrooms and toilets and touch up outdoors , like mowing and reset all linen and disinfect and add products back . so long story short , there is cleaning and cleaning and you are staying in someones house , not a hotel room , so ,did you do the right thing . ? If you did say so .Unlike hotels hosts expect you to live as normal , not party or use their house as a crash pad . also they have rules . follow the rules and you will be fine . the cleaning fee is often added because the overnight fee for groups of people for the amount of work , even for one guest is not enough. H

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Jacob21 Yes you and only you can call Airbnb support services and request that your review be removed H

Breanna
Community Manager
Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

You can learn more about editing reviews in this Airbnb Help Center article: Editing a review you wrote

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines