*Holiday season - Host claimed Airbnb messed up her pricing - wants to cancel

Uyen-Vicky0
Level 2
Palo Alto, CA

*Holiday season - Host claimed Airbnb messed up her pricing - wants to cancel

Hi everyone - I have a bit of a situation here.

I've booked an apartment in New York - during Holiday season (December 27 - January 6).   It's an instant booking, I have booked and paid for. However, because I see that the host has a history of cancel reservations x amount of days before arrival, I was worried. So I did check with her again if the dates are open - she said it's good and I don't have to worry. Then we booked our flight tickets (We are from San Francisco) 

On the same day (today), I got a message from her saying that unfortunately has to reject my reservations because somehow Airbnb managed to mess up her price. Quoted

"The place would be 3 times this amount during Christmas and New Years. Unfortunately, I will not be able to accomodate you and your guest at this price. If I could feasible host you I would, but the amount difference is disparaging and it leaves me no choice but to reject this price Airbnb has quoted you" 

What do i do at this point? We are 2 college students, our budget is limited, most other airbnb apartment in NY during holidays are booked, only very expensive ones left. Also, we have booked the flight tickets, the Airbnb place is also near the transportation I need. Lastly, it's near my relative's place.

Please help

5 Replies 5
John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Uyen-Vicky0, I'd contact AirBnb and speak to them directly about this. 

@Uyen-Vicky0 what is not clear in this situation is

1. Is the host cancelling the reservation? or
  2. Is the host asking you to pay a new, higher rate? (by sending you a request for money) or
  3. Has the host just told you "the price is too low" and done nothing specific?

It is difficult to say how to proceed without know what the host has done other than to send that message.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Uyen-Vicky0 ,

I don't think airbnb has messed up the prices

airbnb does not set the pricing. Only the host can type in the prices he/she wants to charge. It is clearly the resposibility of the host to take care of that and the host should not state:

"but to reject this price Airbnb has quoted you" 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Uyen-Vicky0  She didn't update her pricing this is all on her. Do not accept any request for money or change to the reservation. Do not cancel the reservation. She has to honor the booking or face the cancellation penalties which includes all those days blocked on her calendar. Call AirBnB ASAP.

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

Uyen-Vicky0
Level 2
Palo Alto, CA

Thank you all.

You guys are right. I mentioned that to Airbnb about their "quoted price" and they said the Host is the person who is in charge of their price. 

I've contacted Airbnb and they will get back to me in a few days! 🙂