Hollywood, FL new regulations

Dave194
Level 2
Hollywood, FL

Hollywood, FL new regulations

I'm wondering how my fellow hosts are dealing with the new regulations from the city of Hollywood FLORIDA regarding renting space in their own home.  The previous regulations applied only to those renting out a space you didn't live in.  Now since October they have new regulations that govern even homes we live in.  I've been trying to work with the city to comply but I'm finding that they put the cart way ahead of the horse because even they have no idea how to implement their rules. I'm practically ready to charge them a consulting fee for helping them sort things out. LOL 

I'm willing to work with on reasonable issues but they are going a bit too far in some instances.  I'm wondering if we have any recourse as a group.  Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

17 Replies 17
Anya22
Level 1
New York, NY

Hi, I'm very interested in learning more - read the regulations published, but can't understand what exactly is required for getting a license. Would love to discuss more - I'm not based in Florida, but want to invest in a rental property there and am a host outside of the US.

Davi0
Level 2
Florida, United States

I am currently living in Hollywood florida and I find this unacceptable.  Making it so difficult and stressful to rent your place when I have to worry about the city intruding in to my home rights. Do you know if the inspections are already being enforced in order to rent a room in my own home?

@Davi0 wrote:

I am currently living in Hollywood florida and I find this unacceptable.  Making it so difficult and stressful to rent your place when I have to worry about the city intruding in to my home rights. Do you know if the inspections are already being enforced in order to rent a room in my own home?

They want county, city, and state permits and tax certificates and state licenses for individual listing not per parcel. If you list 3 rooms separately, you need to certify each individually. That is about $1300 and they’re still not satisfied. Signs and wired smoke detectors with carbon monoxide, noise detectors in every room, I still cannot get it together. They’re scamming us 

I am having the same issue with the city! How did everything work out for you? I just went through my annual inspection yesterday and the inspector was absolutely horrible.

Dave194
Level 2
Hollywood, FL

I don't know if they are enforcing it yet.

Lynette96
Level 2
Pembroke Pines, FL

Hi, I am purchasing a multi-family unit and plan to use it as airBNB in Hollywood.  where should i start?  would love for you more experienced hosts in the city to guide me a bit.  :). 

*[Solictation removed –in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Sandra3709
Level 2
Miami, FL

what are the rules and regulations for renting a house in Hollywood Beach?

Irving21
Level 1
Hollywood, FL

Any information you may have for me would be great: I own a 2/1 condo in Hollywood and would like to rent my spare bedroom through Airbnb. Thanx - Today is Jan 28 2020

Sandy-and-Ed0
Level 2
Sunny Isles Beach, FL

Hi, anyone has done anything related to the new Vacation rental license in Hollywood, FL ?, the new regulations are from Jan 21 - 2021 and go in effect in march for existing licenses and April for new ones, any help could be greatly appreciated. Don't know where to start with; its very confusing.

I've checked it out online.  Not too much different than what it was a few years ago.  Still confusing and, in parts, contradictory.  One place it says "do X," the other place it says "do Y."  
While I hear that non-owner-occupied properties are a problem in Hollywood, it's a shame that the city lumps owner-occupied into the same group and treat them the same.  They have none of the issues or problems but still bear the burden.  

It’s more started in April 1st of 2121. The workers are even confused 

They are confusing and unstable about what they want host to do.

Emmanuel711
Level 2
Miramar, FL

I have been going back and forth with them as well. They made me paid for unnecessary licensings and still require for more. They are confusing me now.