Home owner association falsely claimed I advertised on AirBnB as short term rental

Kathie3
Level 2
Alexandria, VA

Home owner association falsely claimed I advertised on AirBnB as short term rental

My home association is trying to claim that I've advertised my unit on AirBnB as a short term rental, which is 6 months and less, and want to claim financial penalty of $3000 against me.    They are wrong because the minimal stay for my unit is 330 nights (11 months), but the home association may not know this unless they try to actually use AirBnB and discover the restriction.    I have a hearing with the home owner association in early 2020, I'm anticipating that if I showed them my online listing's minimal stay is 330 nights, their lawyers might claim I recently edited my listing to say that.  

So my question is , is there a way to show proof that I have not edited the listing in 2 years and that it always said that the minimal stay is 330 nights?

4 Replies 4
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Kathie3  You can show them your Airbnb transaction list of bookings in 2019. 

I forgot to mention that one guest had to cancel the reservation after 3 months due to circumstance beyond his control.  He is a good guy and I let him cancel early, but to the home association it can look like a short term rental.   Since then I have another guest that immediately took over the reservation and she's been renting for 10 months now.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kathie3 

you can show them a list of your past reservations and your transaction history 

I forgot to mention that of my my guest cancel the reservation after 3 months for good reasons unrelated to the rental.  He was a very good guy so I let him cancel early, but to the home association it can look like a short term rental.   I immediately found another another guest to take over the reservation and she's been renting for 10 months now.