Home sharing of Sacramento

Lynn40
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

Home sharing of Sacramento

Have all of you read the ordinances for Sacramento? Have you registered with the City, paid the fee? Are you collecting the $12.5 tax? Have you heard from any of your neighbors who are to have received a letter stating they have an Airbnb within 200 yard of their home? We have a new mayor, it would be a great idea if we could speak with as to how the city plans to handle the ordinance so it is fair to all. Also, Aibnb often collects the tax and provides a list of Airbnbs. This would help us to be on the same page. What do you all think and what are you doing to abide by the ordinance? Thanks.

17 Replies 17
Mike310
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

I am in West Sacramento, CA and as of Dec/Jan 2017 you are required to obtain a business license.  I am unaware of the requirement to collect any sales tax??? What are other doing if anything?

We are also required to collect and submit a 12% tax similar to the hotel tax. Last year I called the city and asked for the individual in charge of Airbnbs. There wasn't anyone. I plan to call again. I am unwilling to pay any tax until the city has a current list of Airbnb hosts and notifies all of the ordinance. I have not been able to obtain any assistance from Airbnb. It is all but impossible to talk with anyone in management. Airbnb collects the hotel tax in many cities and submits it on behalf of the host, but not in Sacramento. Regards, Lynn

thank you for the response. I will follow your approach.  Let the city obtain a listing of hosts and direct hosts when and how to submit taxes.

I went in to talk to the city (West Sacramento) last week and they were unable to provide me with any written details of the requirement for AIRBNB licensing, so I was unclear if the tax was part of the new licensing requirement.  

They were clear verbally : either get a license or Abate (or pay fine).

Best, Mike

Janet164
Level 2
California, United States

Mike - Sorry to hijack this thread but ...

I'm looking for a good tax preparer in Sacramento Area who knows Airbnb.  Any recommendations?

Ken B.

Hi Janet,

I'm curious if you ever found a good tax preparer with expertise in this area?  I'm also looking for similar help.  

Thanks,

Jeff 

Hi Jeff,

I recommend [Personal information hidden], CPA. Phone:  [Phone number hidden]  email:  [Email address hidden]

He's also a long-time Airbnb host himself.

Best,

Nancy

Do you still have this info?

Hi,

I just posted this in Home Sharing of Sacramento.

The Sacramento City Council voted unanimously to receive TOT payment for Airbnb hosts directly from Airbnb.  See news story:  http://www.abc10.com/news/local/sacramento-airbnb-guests-may-start-paying-more/452641923

According to our Sacramento Airbnb representative, this will most likely go into effect on August 1, 2017 since it takes about 30 days to get it set up in their system.

There is nothing you need to do as a host (yeah).  The taxes will automatically be shown to guests, just like Airbnb fees when they are in the booking process.

There are a few of us that have been paying the tax to the city on our own so keep watch for updates on when Airbnb begins doing it for you.

Janice47
Level 2
California, United States

How about Elk Grove. I have been trying to keep up and right now I cannot find anything.  Anyone know? 

Hi Janice,

If you are asking if Airbnb will be directly collecting Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) from the city of Elk Grove, I doubt it.  They arrange it with each city directly so typically they're only doing that in the more major cities - for now. 

Nancy

FYI: I have been a host for over 4 years now. Overall it has been a wonderful enriching experience not to mention the extra monies I made on a retirement income. I applied for a conditional use permit to be allowed to rent out my whole house for more than 90 days. This cost me over $3000.

My immediate next door neighbor has rallied the Land Park residences to write letters to the city to deny my permit. Many false accusations were made. However there were many  letters written in support of denying my permit. I received a call from the city saying my permit would more than likely be denied. Therefore I will withdraw my application and move back into my home and just rent out a couple of rooms instead. 

I called Airbnb to ask for their assistance. They could not or would not help.

I’m writing this as a warning to my fellow AIRBNB who are renting their whole house in the Land Park area.

BTW I will only receive partial return on the 3000 as work had already begun on my permit. 

Lucy287
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

Hello I am new to Airbnb  just under 90 days and made super host in less than two months .

I've had a wonderful experience thus far . 

I was wondering about the 12% occupancy tax as well and if we have an Airbnb host club in the area to network and bounce ideas from each other ? 

I know other cities do so i was curious if Sacramento did too. 

the comment above  by Nancy addresses your tax questions.

Hi Lucy,

I just started Airbnb, renting 2 rooms in my condo in Rancho Cordova. I am very confused. I have only charged a few for the tax and now will continue to do so. Do I need to get a business license and rental permit from Sacramento? I would like to connect with other hosts.  I had a guest who did 4 loads of laundry this week and leaves all the lights on when leaving a room. I really need some guidance here.

Thanks,

Connie