Homeowners' Insurance - Help!

Answered!

Homeowners' Insurance - Help!

I have been setting up my home to rent two bedrooms through AirBnB.

Today I talked to my insurance company about adding any coverage that would be needed for this use, and was unpleasantly surprised to find out that if I do AirBnB, They Will Not Cover Me At All.  They assured me that since my policy had just renewed I would still be covered for almost a year, but that they would not renew me, and they would not pay claims related to AirBnB.

They were also unable to provide me with any suggestions of companies that Would cover my home, and so far I have not been able to turn anyone up.

I searched the user forums, and found that this appears to be a fairly common problem, and that there are numerous horror stories of people having their insurance cancelled after just -asking- about AirBnB.  A few of them appear to have lost their mortgage as a result.  The only suggestions I saw were in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada, which does not help me much in the United States.

I called AirBnB support (after considerable effort finding a phone number), and was informed by the agent that she "Never heard of that kind of a problem before". Apparently, she does not read the community forums.  The agent promised to escalate the question to her supervisor, but I have heard nothing yet.

Needless to say, I want to get this taken care of, since it appears that there is a reasonable chance of losing my home over it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Best Answer
Susanne48
Level 7
Washington, DC

William,
I went thru the same scenario regarding insurance companies. I found a bed and breakfast insurance company and used them for about 6 months but it cost me almost $250 more a month than what I was paying with my home insurance. I went to an AirBnb meeting in Washington DC( my location) and expressed my concern and frustration and one of the hosts there said she has insurance thru Peers.org which is insurance for shared economy. They cover Uber, home away, And AirBNb and the cost is only $30 a month. You keep your regular home insurance. This insurance is an extension policy. I can give you more info. If you need it.

View Best Answer in original post

750 Replies 750

Hi Becky.  I do.  Please contact me at your convenience.  Id be happy to see if I can help you.

smurphy@farmersagent.com.   Sean F Murphy Insurance Agency, Worth, IL 

Alan479
Level 2
County Carlow, Ireland

Anyone got a solution for this problem in Ireland regards Alan

I had a guest **  who stayed at my home longer than the check out date that it says Merle checked out by.  She was to check out on a Wednesday but instead checked out on Friday morning around 4:30am.  When you speak with this guest she is very personable and very articulate with great stories.  So you can not help but enjoy speaking with her... then you accidentally find out how many people and animals are really at your home.

How does a host add the extra days she stayed especially if the reservation has already happened?  And Airbnb has already paid for that reservation?

So (#1)  - She remained at my home past her check-out date.  

Does Airbnb have a way to charge the guest for the extended days she remained at the home?  

Also (#2) - On the reservation this guest reserved the home for "2 dogs" and "2 people"  in reality this guest had placed around 76 dogs inside my home not including little puppies;  on my reservation profile it clearly states that the first dog is free but the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, ...etc...  is a $25.00 charge.  

What does Airbnb do in a case like this?  

How does Airbnb add the dog fee?

Also (#3)  because of the animals this guest had to hire workers to help her with transporting dogs; feeding; etc... so this guest hired workers/employee's;  took the hinges off my door and broke into my private (no guest usage written in the profile owners garage and owners closet)  the employees stole items from inside  the owners garage and owners closet.

How does Airbnb protect the host and help get back  the stolen items or help to reimburse for the stolen items?

(#4)  What and How does Airbnb go about to help the host when there is damage this guest has caused?

Between the animals and workers they backed right into my garage door; the dogs   had pretty much they had free range of the inside and outside of my home  running around and jumping  up on my couches; chairs;throw rugs;  eating walls; furniture,  the dogs were shedding, peeing, pooing and some where in heat which ended up getting all over my furniture and carpet and throw carpet, the tile on the inside of my home and on the outside of my home.  

What or how does Airbnb have to help the host to get my home free from the smell, clogged pipes, clogged filter on the a/c; my washing machine had hair stuck to the inside of it is there any help from Airbnb for all the damage these dogs have and are costing me to get my home back up to par. Although because of the blood and urine I do not think my upholstered living room couch and chairs and wool throw carpet can be saved. My leather couches have claw marks and bites; my walls have bite marks from the dogs.

I have cords chewed; etc.

The guest claimed she was renting my home with only two dogs and two people.  

She had an RV up at my home; she stayed longer (past) her check-out date.  

I am trying to get home home free from the smells;damage; etc.  

How does Airbnb go about to charge this guest for all the damage she has caused?

How does Airbnb cover the host for opening up her home with open arms only to have  damage this person has caused costing more then that of the current reservation ?

PLEASE ADVISE

PLEASE Help! 

I am totally  beside myself.

M.chelle

**[Sensitive information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

79 dogs, really?

Is this a joke?  

Jay1225
Level 1
Hickory, NC

Hello. After also been told that my insurance coverage would be terminated by USAA I have looked and have not found homeowners insurance. The recommendation for Pires.org sounds like a good alternative where there is extension coverage. Are there any other suggestions on this line.? Thank you. Jay

Jay I have access to a number of carriers- including Proper.  Please contact me if you would like to discuss this.  Sean F Murphy Insurance Agency, Worth IL

Peggy137
Level 10
Boulder, CO

Hi Jay,
After 10 tons of research I found Proper Insurance: their prices were good compared to most everyone else (it depends on your exact situation, Proper were one of the few who'd actually cover a house with a long and short term rental). You have to work the phones a little. 
If you're interested in Proper call Stacey: 888 631 6680.
GOOD LUCK 

This one is a bear.

Hello my name is Jean. I, would appreciate if anyone out there would help me.

I, currently have several CliffSide properties in Puerto Puerto Rico. i have tried to find out about some sort of Vacation rental property insurance besides, my own home insurance policy. for liability coverage mostly. the few companies that do offer vacation rental insurance, dont serve Puerto Rico. im also dont have clear understanding of AirBnB host Guarantee & Host Protection programs. can someone help? 😞

Thank You.

Travelers Insurance has a specific endorsement for the AirBnB exposure. It is best to find a local, independent agent in your area that represents Travelers Insurance.

I wished... Not here in CA! 

However, the best product I'm seeing (West Coast) is Guard/Berkshire Hathaway which is probably the best product currently on the market... —It is a regular homeowners policy (HO3) with broadened home-sharing endorsement. It came out this summer. 

I highly recommend that's what hosts get, especially if they're hosting their primary residence. 

If you need help, call my agency!

William Lemmon

Broadway Insurance Services

Los Angeles, CA

Hello William,

I am interested in a quote.  Covina, CA.  We do short-term in two of our bedrooms in our primary home.  Might do long-term in the future instead or as well.

Thanks,

Pamela Gibb

573 239 8604

Christy185
Level 1
Export, PA

I am an insurance agent in PA. There are non-standard insurance companies who will cover Airbnb homes. They are usually at least a little more expensive than standard homeowers and you lose bundling discounts, so you will also pay more for your auto. You need to find an independent insurance agent who works with numerous companies and brokers. Direct agents who work only for one company typically do not have a solution for non standard coverage and my experience is that most of not all standard companies will not touch a home with an Airbnb exposure. Even if you have host coverage through Airbnb. They can't properly underwrite a risk when they have no idea what the risk is, ie: different people coming and going. So they don't want anything to do with it.

If you are in PA, you can contact me at Trimbur Insurance Agency at 724-325-1923 info@trimbur.com

Christy

Mary478
Level 2
Hamilton, Canada

I live in Hamilton Ontario but have my cottage in Selkirk Ontario. Recently found out that my home owners insurance doesn’t cover properties that rent on Airbnb. I have rented private in previous years and they were aware. I truly never even thought about the insurance part. As soon as I did I deactivated my listing. I now have to search for a new insurance company that will cover my property. Not sure if any company off hand but wondering if anyone else is in my position?

Hi did you find insurance? I am looking as well?

Sean140
Level 5
Prosper, TX

Please contact me if you’d like ton discuss. I can help you. Sean F Murphy Insurance Agency Worth IL.