Homeowners' Insurance - Help!

Answered!

Homeowners' Insurance - Help!

I have been setting up my home to rent two bedrooms through AirBnB.

Today I talked to my insurance company about adding any coverage that would be needed for this use, and was unpleasantly surprised to find out that if I do AirBnB, They Will Not Cover Me At All.  They assured me that since my policy had just renewed I would still be covered for almost a year, but that they would not renew me, and they would not pay claims related to AirBnB.

They were also unable to provide me with any suggestions of companies that Would cover my home, and so far I have not been able to turn anyone up.

I searched the user forums, and found that this appears to be a fairly common problem, and that there are numerous horror stories of people having their insurance cancelled after just -asking- about AirBnB.  A few of them appear to have lost their mortgage as a result.  The only suggestions I saw were in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada, which does not help me much in the United States.

I called AirBnB support (after considerable effort finding a phone number), and was informed by the agent that she "Never heard of that kind of a problem before". Apparently, she does not read the community forums.  The agent promised to escalate the question to her supervisor, but I have heard nothing yet.

Needless to say, I want to get this taken care of, since it appears that there is a reasonable chance of losing my home over it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Best Answer
Susanne48
Level 7
Washington, DC

William,
I went thru the same scenario regarding insurance companies. I found a bed and breakfast insurance company and used them for about 6 months but it cost me almost $250 more a month than what I was paying with my home insurance. I went to an AirBnb meeting in Washington DC( my location) and expressed my concern and frustration and one of the hosts there said she has insurance thru Peers.org which is insurance for shared economy. They cover Uber, home away, And AirBNb and the cost is only $30 a month. You keep your regular home insurance. This insurance is an extension policy. I can give you more info. If you need it.

View Best Answer in original post

750 Replies 750

Sean, how do I contact you?  I'm interested in getting a quote for my home in California. Sylvia 

Hi Sean, I am interested in a quote. I live in Michigan. Please Contact me 🙂 

Sean,

Could you please email with specifics for Missouri?  Thanks

Hi Charlotte.  Please contact me. I cannot post my e-mail address in the forum.  Please google me and you’ll find my contact info.  Sean F Murphy Insurance Agency Worth, IL.  Thank you!

Charlotte, did you find anything, we also located in Missiouri.

Ximena

Sean,

Please send information regarding insurance for Airbnb in Missouri.  Thanks!

Charlotte

Hi, I am in Florida. I am having airbnb related insurance problems. Zipcode 33020.

Can you help?  Please email me, and i can call you. Thank you, Vanessa

welcomehouseguests@gmail.com

@Sean140 Hi Sean, where do we contact you?

The host protection coverage could be best descrived as flimsy.  Contact Sean Murphy in Worth IL.   He has helped a lot of operators solve their insurance needs.  He also has a website dedicated to helping operators with insurance issues. 

This does not adequately protect you in all scenarios and as stated above, if your homeowners insurance co find out you’re renting short term rentals through Airbnb, you could be dropped

Susanne48
Level 7
Washington, DC

William,
I went thru the same scenario regarding insurance companies. I found a bed and breakfast insurance company and used them for about 6 months but it cost me almost $250 more a month than what I was paying with my home insurance. I went to an AirBnb meeting in Washington DC( my location) and expressed my concern and frustration and one of the hosts there said she has insurance thru Peers.org which is insurance for shared economy. They cover Uber, home away, And AirBNb and the cost is only $30 a month. You keep your regular home insurance. This insurance is an extension policy. I can give you more info. If you need it.

Thank you, Susanne - that would be awesome.

We had the same problem and were advised by another host to contact Proper Insurance Co.  They have a special policy that covers our house, and some special issues like bed bugs including the cost of lost income while the problem is being solved.

Diane in Holland Mi.

Hello Diane.  Im glad you were able to find a solution for your insurance issues.  I have a few other options available for insurance quotes in addition to Proper.  Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss this.

Sean F Murphy Insurance Agency, Worth, IL

Sean, I would like to get a quote and information.