Homeowners' Insurance - Help!

Eleanor16
Level 2
Dundee, United Kingdom

Homeowners' Insurance - Help!

Hi guys, we are based in scotland and a majority of others asking this question are not within the UK.  We have taken out 'renters insurance' to make sure we are covered however it is incredibly expensive.  I wonder if any of you would be happy to share your insurance provider information with us so we can see if we are paying too much which I suspect we are.  One of the US conversations about this suggested getting in touch with a specific BnB small business provider and also a type of insurance that bolts on to your regular home insurance which is much cheaper and is additional cover to the cover you might already have. Thank you, Eleanor  information with us so we can see if our qulcover inform

4 Replies 4
Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

Hi @Eleanor16 we are further north from you in the Highlands and have our home & contents insurance policy with Admiral who started a specific policy for Airbnb hosts earlier this summer. I wrote a lengthy post giving the main clauses at Admiral Insurance.

One of the main issues is that it has a maximum of 90 days rental in the year which is not suitable for many hosts. I suspect this is because after 90 days your local council might require you to apply for planning permission for change of use to a guesthouse. I'm not sure about that but have a read through the info and come back with any other questions.

Cathy189
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Hi

I am also having problems finding an insurance provider - I'm a host in Edinburgh and let for different durations - (more than 90 days per year).   The property is a flat in a small block of 14 flats - and when I finally got thorugh to one possible insurance company (who did short term and student lets - they would only insure a block with 10 flats or less!)   The airbnb providers seem to do contents and the landlord bit - but not buildings insurance for Scotland

Any help / advice please - many thanks Cathy

Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

@Cathy189@Eleanor16

You might want to try HomeProtect. We have buildings (but not contents) insurance with them. But, we run our rental as a business and it's separate to our home, so they may not meet your needs.

If you're letting for more than 110 days each year, you may want to consider registering as a small business. Here in England, we can do that and then get small business relief so no rates to pay. Rent is declared as income on tex returns.

Cathy189
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Thanks Ben - appreciate your advice

I have just come off the phone from I4me   - they seem to be able to cover me for buildings contents and landlord - not a plug I'd never heard of them before!  I'm going through the small print tonight - but thanks fo your help