Homeowners' Insurance - Help!

Answered!

Homeowners' Insurance - Help!

I have been setting up my home to rent two bedrooms through AirBnB.

Today I talked to my insurance company about adding any coverage that would be needed for this use, and was unpleasantly surprised to find out that if I do AirBnB, They Will Not Cover Me At All.  They assured me that since my policy had just renewed I would still be covered for almost a year, but that they would not renew me, and they would not pay claims related to AirBnB.

They were also unable to provide me with any suggestions of companies that Would cover my home, and so far I have not been able to turn anyone up.

I searched the user forums, and found that this appears to be a fairly common problem, and that there are numerous horror stories of people having their insurance cancelled after just -asking- about AirBnB.  A few of them appear to have lost their mortgage as a result.  The only suggestions I saw were in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada, which does not help me much in the United States.

I called AirBnB support (after considerable effort finding a phone number), and was informed by the agent that she "Never heard of that kind of a problem before". Apparently, she does not read the community forums.  The agent promised to escalate the question to her supervisor, but I have heard nothing yet.

Needless to say, I want to get this taken care of, since it appears that there is a reasonable chance of losing my home over it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Best Answer
Susanne48
Level 7
Washington, DC

William,
I went thru the same scenario regarding insurance companies. I found a bed and breakfast insurance company and used them for about 6 months but it cost me almost $250 more a month than what I was paying with my home insurance. I went to an AirBnb meeting in Washington DC( my location) and expressed my concern and frustration and one of the hosts there said she has insurance thru Peers.org which is insurance for shared economy. They cover Uber, home away, And AirBNb and the cost is only $30 a month. You keep your regular home insurance. This insurance is an extension policy. I can give you more info. If you need it.

View Best Answer in original post

750 Replies 750
Christina826
Level 1
New Jersey, United States

Hello Sean,

I see from your posts that you help with homeowners policies. 

I am look around for insurance to possibly list a home on Airbnb. 

I live in Nj but the property is in Poconos, Pa

The # was blocked to contact you.

Hi Christina.  I can help you.  Please email me or google me: Sean F Murphy Insurance Agency, Worth IL 

Hi Sean - what about Virginia and/or Florida? I'm also looking for insurance. Thank you!!!

Hi Sean

Are you licensed in VA?

Are you licensed in Florida?

Yes I am.  Please contact me.  Sean f Murphy Insurance Agency Worth IL. 

and if the renter denies the claims, airbnb takes both sides, meaning they will split it in half.

Kate24
Level 2
Bainbridge Island, WA

Check the policy carefully, and read the recent NY Times article. Airbnb's policy is secondary to your homeowner's policy. A claim has to first be denied by your private insurer before airbnb's kicks in. And it is possible that your homeowner's policy will be cancelled in the event of a claim.

I recently asked my homeowners insurance company about covering me for airbnb rentals and now they will not renew my policy. I only have 5 weeks to find new coverage and have not found anything yet as the other companies I have spoken with will not cover airbnb either. I live in upstate NY. Can anyone help?

I haven't solved my homeowner's insurance problem yet myself.  Working on it though.  Right now it looks like I am going to have to get a business insurance policy and insure like an Inn or traditional B&B would.  My suggestion is to find an insurance broker (not agent) who is licensed in NY.  What works for someone in another state might not be an option for you in NY.  

Hi, Rebecca. How did it go? What did you end up with? I'm still looking in NYC. 

So sorry--did you find anything? I'm looking too.

I am an insurance agent. You need to ask your insurance agent to find a "commercial liability policy" and tell your agent you are doing short term rental.

I just got covered with Erie!

They are ready to help with this Home sharing insurance dilemma! It took me nearly a year but I am happy to say they are covering my Airbnb rooms, stand alone short term Airbnb apartment, second home, long term apartments and all vehicles!

best wishes!

Is this for California too? Is it called Erie Insurance?

Thank You