Homeowners' Insurance - Help!

Answered!

Homeowners' Insurance - Help!

I have been setting up my home to rent two bedrooms through AirBnB.

Today I talked to my insurance company about adding any coverage that would be needed for this use, and was unpleasantly surprised to find out that if I do AirBnB, They Will Not Cover Me At All.  They assured me that since my policy had just renewed I would still be covered for almost a year, but that they would not renew me, and they would not pay claims related to AirBnB.

They were also unable to provide me with any suggestions of companies that Would cover my home, and so far I have not been able to turn anyone up.

I searched the user forums, and found that this appears to be a fairly common problem, and that there are numerous horror stories of people having their insurance cancelled after just -asking- about AirBnB.  A few of them appear to have lost their mortgage as a result.  The only suggestions I saw were in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada, which does not help me much in the United States.

I called AirBnB support (after considerable effort finding a phone number), and was informed by the agent that she "Never heard of that kind of a problem before". Apparently, she does not read the community forums.  The agent promised to escalate the question to her supervisor, but I have heard nothing yet.

Needless to say, I want to get this taken care of, since it appears that there is a reasonable chance of losing my home over it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Best Answer
Susanne48
Level 7
Washington, DC

William,
I went thru the same scenario regarding insurance companies. I found a bed and breakfast insurance company and used them for about 6 months but it cost me almost $250 more a month than what I was paying with my home insurance. I went to an AirBnb meeting in Washington DC( my location) and expressed my concern and frustration and one of the hosts there said she has insurance thru Peers.org which is insurance for shared economy. They cover Uber, home away, And AirBNb and the cost is only $30 a month. You keep your regular home insurance. This insurance is an extension policy. I can give you more info. If you need it.

View Best Answer in original post

750 Replies 750

I bought the commercial liability plus umbrella and then just sit back and relax instead of being worry!

Patty 

Was it very pricy??

Every state is different, I have 3 houses around $4400, if ever come to the claim I know I am protected. I am an insurance agent, I saw Airbn landlord's protection sounds ambigious to me. I could not tell what else is not covered or how well we are been protected. You know the find prints can be very tricky.  I don't want to risk my liability on Airbnb's policy so I rather just purchased a commercial policy and sleepp well.

@Heinz0I hope you never have to file a claim with Airbnb. 

Sadly, I feel I was totally blown off by Airbnb after a 33-day guest overstayed by 9 days, damaged my furniture from training their dog to pee indoors (dog appears to have overpeed/missed the "pad" these guests kept on the wood floors in my kitchen for their dog to pee on, the dog appears further to have confused my handmade living room rug for another pee pad, as these guests clearly have no clue what they have done to their dog making him pee indoors, and make no mistake the indoor-peeing dog was NOT disclosed to me!).  Further, this little couple who appears to live Airbnb to Airbnb was not content to keep bicycles and other sports equipent in the garage as I do, so they had dragged all their wordly possessions into my second story flat including golf bag/clubs, two bicycles, multiple TVs and related gaming devices, vacuum cleaner) fully scraping and scuffing up my beautiful 107-year old painted entry woodwork more than the cumulative use for 20 years before their 33 days.  They left massive amounts of dog hair and one disgusting bathtub, after an already ongoing issue of accumulated oils on the bathroom walls and ceiling for their apparent unwillingness to run the vent while showering.  Just gross. I filed for a claim against my $5000 Security Deposit, emailed in photos, called a dozen times, was assigned a Trust & Safety adjustor who only regurgitated standard paragraphs and responded to emailed photos with statements like, "some of the photos you sent in were not visible" and "we cannot use the document you provided because it is not an official document" (referring to my spreadsheet that summarized the items damaged-- I created this itemized list all on one page because the phone contact for Superhosts told me to be sure to include a list of the items with corresponding amounts and a total). 

I have never had an issue with a guest before and I'm proud of 100% 5-star reviews because I take guest comfort and experience very seriously.  These guests finally left 9/4.  Today is 11/4.  About a month ago, I did receive an email suggesting my claim is being turned over to a Senior Adjustor, but I have heard nothing...  It's a joke. 

I won't host again in my beautiful flat unless I know the guest personally or friend of a friend or former guest highly recommended.  Again, I have a $5000 Security Deposit.  Apparently means nothing.  My claim was only for very well documented damages and the unpaid days to be paid against the security deposit.  So, please recognize the security deposit is a joke because hosts don't hold the cc# or the funds, Airbnb does, and Airbnb is unresponsive to host requests--or at least totally unresponsive in my case.

William, I need to get in touch with you but for some reason, I cannot find a way to do direct messaging. If you can DM me would be great. Need help urgently

William,

I live in Washington DC.  And I rent rooms in the house where I reside.  Will Proper insurance insure me or who will insure a Shared household?

Hi William, can I have your contact info, please?

Jennifer 

Angela331
Level 2
Marblehead, MA

Hi everyone

I started this conversation a long time ago and am just rejoining it to tell everyone that Vermont Mutual is my new insurer (after getting ditched by Commerce). They will write a policy for Airbnb hosts (in house and total house rentals) at least for people in MA (and presumably in Vermont!) so it is worth checking them out wherever you live. They offer discount if you take out car insurance also. Find a knowledgeable insurance broker to help you get coverage - but GET IT!!

I'm disappointed that Airbnb seems to be taking a back seat on this. Their "coverage" is not sufficient. I just don't get it. There's a good business opportunity in here somewhere. 

Good luck!

Angela

Marblehead, MA

Thanks, Angela. Yes, some smart cookie will provide an owner occupied short term rental insurance policy for Airbnb hosts like us and retire a billionaire! All the insurance companies that have said no to this type of policy just don't get it. They said  their main concern (Proper Insurance included) was privacy issues with the homeowners living in the space they rent. They dont get it! With Airbnb, the hosts and the guests are on their BEST behavior, because if they are not, they get bad review and then it's OVER. We have heard of a few bad eggs that hid cameras in their rooms, but this is not the norm. 

Here in Connecticut, I had to buy commercial B&B insurance underwritten by Lloyds of London. It was double the cost from my homeowner's policy. There are other states, like NY that have easy to get policies that add only a couple hundred to the cost each year. It all depends on your state.

The insurance is hard to find.  But it’s out there.  Contact me if you need help for being coverage for your state. 

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

No good answer or bad answer you just lose insurance makes the rules as they go unless you really are broken down meaning your body as far as property they only cover structural properties and only your personal belongings they don't cover art work or antiques 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

AirBnB is  a booking service, not an Insurance Broker.

David

David, you can say that again!  Which is why the website language is misleading.

Emily, your experience sounds like a nightmare.  I hope you get some compensation.  The damage deposit is indeed a joke, because once the guest "leaves," the deposit--which is never actually charged to them--disappears.

Most guests are great people.  Most hosts are great people.  Airbnb relies on that.  But they aren't obliged to protect anyone.

Hi I am a Airbnb host in Canada in the process of trying to find Home Insurance.  My policy ends soon and my present Insurer will not renew me based on my rental.  Does anyone know of a Insurance company in Canada that does this type of insurance.

Hi Geraldine,
What did you end up finding out re insurance?  Were you able to find an insurance co.?  
Thanks,

Cathy