Homeowners' Insurance - Help!

Answered!

Homeowners' Insurance - Help!

I have been setting up my home to rent two bedrooms through AirBnB.

Today I talked to my insurance company about adding any coverage that would be needed for this use, and was unpleasantly surprised to find out that if I do AirBnB, They Will Not Cover Me At All.  They assured me that since my policy had just renewed I would still be covered for almost a year, but that they would not renew me, and they would not pay claims related to AirBnB.

They were also unable to provide me with any suggestions of companies that Would cover my home, and so far I have not been able to turn anyone up.

I searched the user forums, and found that this appears to be a fairly common problem, and that there are numerous horror stories of people having their insurance cancelled after just -asking- about AirBnB.  A few of them appear to have lost their mortgage as a result.  The only suggestions I saw were in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada, which does not help me much in the United States.

I called AirBnB support (after considerable effort finding a phone number), and was informed by the agent that she "Never heard of that kind of a problem before". Apparently, she does not read the community forums.  The agent promised to escalate the question to her supervisor, but I have heard nothing yet.

Needless to say, I want to get this taken care of, since it appears that there is a reasonable chance of losing my home over it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Best Answer
Susanne48
Level 7
Washington, DC

William,
I went thru the same scenario regarding insurance companies. I found a bed and breakfast insurance company and used them for about 6 months but it cost me almost $250 more a month than what I was paying with my home insurance. I went to an AirBnb meeting in Washington DC( my location) and expressed my concern and frustration and one of the hosts there said she has insurance thru Peers.org which is insurance for shared economy. They cover Uber, home away, And AirBNb and the cost is only $30 a month. You keep your regular home insurance. This insurance is an extension policy. I can give you more info. If you need it.

View Best Answer in original post

750 Replies 750

The Auto Owners policy may be very restrictive.  Please contact me if you’d like to review. 

Sean F Murphy Insurance Agency Worth IL

Careful with that, it’s important to make sure that the carrier specifically is alright with the “occupancy” of having guests stay in your home... I know that Auto Owners is sold and managed through independent agents like myself, and having an incidental business rider is not meant for lodging guests at your home. 

Its important to to note that, using Airbnb and having guests stay does not require coverage but needs a policy that is acceptable of the occupancy type of the home!! An example of this is, I wouldn’t purchase a landlord insurance policy for my owner occupied home, would I? Doesn’t make sense. Nope... 

Incidental business riders or endorsements generally are not meant for this STR occupancy in your primary owner occupied home...  Unless it’s completely good with the carrier (not the agent) I’d be a little bit concerned about that.

Incidental business liability endorsements are for something completely different, totally different exposure.

Is there anyone in Mildand, On area with information on cottage insurance....

Now that we are with Airbnb, our insurance company will not insure us for our cottage.

Any insurance company that host are using would be appreciated.

thanks

pd

Good morning PD.  I can help you.  I’ve got a number of carriers who can look at this. Fells feee to contact me.  Sean F Murphy Insurance Agency Worth IL. 

Rebecca193
Level 2
Alexandria, VA

Just a heads up for anyone who qualifies for USAA insurance.  I recently found out that USAA is rolling out an option to insure Short Term Rental properties.  Nevada and NH are two states that have been approved in their initial offer.  I am calling every few weeks to inquire if my state has been approved yet.  Call them!

I'm starting to rent out my primary home for  Airbnb guests in the Sonoma county, California  area which is noted as a vacation destination. I live and work in San Francisco during the week and spend more time there than my primary home. Where do you begin to get the right and proper insurance? I currently have insurance, but they don't allow Airbnb use, they referred me to brokers who do, but both said, they can't cover due to fire hazard location of my home. 

What's another option? Keep calling around for supplemental insurance? 

Edgar I should be able to help you.  Please contact me if you would like to discuss this.  Sean F Murphy Insurance Agency Worth, IL. 

Hey Edgar, 

You can give our agency a call... Broadway Insurance Services... Here in Los Angeles, CA 90007.

I, for sure, have a carrier I can write you with. One way or another! 

-William

Peggy137
Level 10
Boulder, CO

Try Proper Ins. They were the only ones who helped me, they are geared towards Airbnbs and the specific problems that go along with them. I worked with Taylor Stults; she is lovely,  genuine and really helpful. Good luck with it, it's a bear.

Alice506
Level 2
West Milford, NJ

There was a time when Proper Insurance and Slice were our only options. Times have changed, now all the big boys got into the game 

Geico insures my car plus, house and BNB at a very reasonable rate.  

State Farm also will insure a BNB at a reasonable cost.  Proper insurance was double what I am paying Geico. 

Unfortunately Geico (just called them to get a quote) insures airbnb only in a handful of states. State Farm will not insure a residential and airbnb mix (they do airbnb only at a good price). I told them to call me if they ever start insuring in AZ and I'll keep people here posted. 

Sean140
Level 5
Prosper, TX

Hi Peggy. I can help you find insurance for your Airbnb.  I write with a number of carriers who have an appetite for this type of business.  I can write in every state.  Please contact me if youre intersted in discussing.  Sean F Murphy Insurance Agency Worth, IL 708 361 9430.  smurphy@farmersagent.com

Susanne48
Level 7
Washington, DC

Hi Ruth!

You are correct.  That post of mine is almost 2 years old.  I’ve gotten  an insurance policy which covers  Airbnb .

.  I got it thru an insurance agent named Sean Murphy who is a Airbnb host. If you see the entire thread, you can find Sean  Murphy’s information there. 

Help to get insurance ?

Susanne48
Level 7
Washington, DC

Sean Murphy is an insurance agent and an Airbnb host.  Google him or find his info in this thread.  He’s Located in Illinois and I think he is with State Farm ,  he can find you insurance  for your listing in most states.