Homestead Exemption in Fl

Ted87
Level 1
Sarasota, FL

Homestead Exemption in Fl

We are auperhosts and heard that local govt is gunning for air bnb hosts that live in the home they offer for air bnb.

We heard that if you lease out for a total of 30 days in a calendar year that we are in danger of losing our 50k homestead exemption.

Please clarify this for us. We are in Manatee County Fl

thanks!

10 Replies 10
Gloria5
Level 2
Miami, FL

You are using home as business and will lose HE as well as prior years that you have been a host , you will be responsible for the difference in homestead excemption you paid along with severe interest and penalties. Check Miami dade website under homestead excemption for more details. 

That is in miami dade where I am located. Check your county website.

Hi Gloria, thank you for the info. Also, did you need to get any other licence or permit for your Airbnb or open a corporation? Thank you in advance for your time.

Hi Gloria, thank you for the info. Also did you need to get any other licence or permit for your Airbnb or open a corporation. Thank you in advance for your time.

Just came back from the property appraisal office and sure enough, if you rent more the 30 days per calendar year, for two consecutive years  of all, or substancially all, of a dwelling shall constitute abandonment of the homestead  as per Section 196.061,F.S.

The good news is that you can request an inspection in order to asses an adjust of the homestead exemption instead of loosing it all and that is what we did =D

Don't wait until a nosey neighbor dinounces you and face serious penalties and interest charges.

Take action now and approach your nearest property appraisasl office.

We hope this helps to the rest of the Airbnb Community.

Sincerely,

James & Bibi

Hey James and Bibi, I’m in Naples, FL operating in Collier County and what I have done is set up two LLCs and will eventually set my property in a Land trust. Seems like Florida is pretty sticky with the local laws. “Doing commercial business in residential zoning.” I sure wish these laws would change for our Home Sharing Economy! 

Lova0
Level 1
Bradenton, FL

I also am a new host in Manatee County and am wondering what you found out about the homestead exemption issue. I have my first guest and am afraid to book more as this is the first year I will get the exemption. 

Hi, in Dade County, you need to approach their office and request an inspection to adjust your HE based on the área you rent. I am still waiting for mine..they are very short on staff and they told me that it would take up to 6 months to have the inspection done.

The lady who assisted me was very nice and told me that they have no wa to find out, it usually is a nosy neighbor who blows the wishel, but if you get cough the fines are very high. 

Ingrid548
Level 1
Melbourne Beach, FL

I am in Brevard county and I am wondering the same thing. I am in the process of researching what to do. 

Hi Ingrid, I am looking for other hosts in brevard county. Seems like the county is on a witch hunt to shut down all short term rentals. I sure would like to form a group of us to fight this.