Honest Mistake from a Guest - Not sure what to do

Sarah3749
Level 2
Hattiesburg, MS

Honest Mistake from a Guest - Not sure what to do

Hello everyone,

It has been a tough year, but I am starting a job next week! I am required to go into the office, about 3 hours away for a couple of days, and thought I would bring my family (Party of 4) to visit some cousins.

In short, I made a mistake when booking...I only entered the number of guests for 1 (Despite entering all our party and trip details into the notes). The host messaged us noticing the mistake, and let us know there are additional charges for having four guests. Being that we are on such a tight budget, we can't afford the extra charges, explained the honest mistake to the host, and asked if we could cancel the reservation with a refund (This was less than 12 hours after the reservation was made).

She refused the refund, stating that had a strict cancellation policy. This forced our hand: my family would have to stay behind as we definitely couldn't afford to book another property if we didn't receive a refund.

I messaged the host today asking for instructions to access the property, and she refused stating that there is a four guest minimum and if I didn't pay the extra fees, I would not have access to the property.

So now I am in an impossible situation: I have paid almost $700 for a reservation, that the host will not honor, and will not refund. I have been on the phone with support multiple times, escalated to higher support, done everything I can think, and they have told me they can only request a refund.

Surely this cannot be correct: a host refusing access to a property that has been paid for and will not issue a refund, and Airbnb cannot help? Please tell me I am not crazy as this is putting us in a dire financial situation and I cannot seem to get any sort of help.

Thanks,

Sarah

70 Replies 70

@Sarah3749  The host is still obliged to give access to the property for the number of people that you paid for. So if you decide to complete the stay by yourself, or with an additional number of people who are willing to pay the extra fees to be included, the host will have to either honor the booking or refund it.

The host is not being unreasonable in withholding the home access details for the time being, as unfortunately it's well known among hosts that a lot of unscrupulous people try to use a small booking as a Trojan Horse for unpaid and unregistered guests, causing them a logistical nightmare. But FYI, if you change your plans and decide to arrive solo, and the host still hasn't granted access to the property, you're entitled to a refund.

Of course, that is moot if you try to bring other unpaid people into the home.

Alternatively, you can try your case with Airbnb explaining that it was a mistake, but they really make the dates and party size numbers extremely bold and in your face during the booking process, so you might have to pretend you have severe dyslexia so it looks like a disability and not a failure of observance.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Sarah3749 I have made that mistake in the past and booked for one instead of the family. The difference is that I researched the properties with the correct number in the search box so when the time came to pay the difference, I was prepared for it. In fact, I reached out to the host myself immediately. You have to miss that part a few times- first when you are searching, second when you are looking what your total would be with cleaning fee etc and third when you check out. I can see how a host would not necessarily think it was an honest mistake

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

@Sarah3749 my sympathies Sarah, this host is being very unreasonable, strict cancellation policy or not. Many times I've had guests book for 1 person instead of the correct amount. I make it my business to ask whether the stay is for 1 person or more when a booking is made because I know mistakes can happen, we're only human after all. Its rare i get a booking for 1 person, which is why i ask. 

Have you checked the property description of the extra charge for more than 1 person? 

@Robbie54  The host did notice the mistake and wrote to ask the guest about it, but the oddest thing that stands out to me is:  

"she refused stating that there is a four guest minimum "

If this is true, it would be very bizarre and definitely unenforceable through Airbnb, because their minimum number of guests is always 1. What is the host going to do if fewer than four people show up? Say "I won't let you come in unless you bring more people with you?"

Perhaps there was a miscommunication somewhere down the line, but it sounds like the rate for a group of 4 should have been the base price for the whole listing.

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

@Anonymous  yes, it all sounds rather odd. I don't believe the property has a minimum 4 guest policy, like you said there's some sort of miscommunication somewhere down the line. Hopefully the guest and host can sort the issue out satisfactorily. 

Sarah3749
Level 2
Hattiesburg, MS

Hey guys! Thanks for responding. So the issue is I did search with 4 guests (2 adults, 1 child, 1 infant). I always search with correct number and age ranges bc I know some properties don’t allow small children. And I read their policies and cancellation policies. I know what the host requires. That’s not an issue. I’m not sure what happened between my search and booking but I even put in my note to host that the four of us were excited so definitely not trying to be shady. I’ve booked so many trips so it was truly an honest mistake or glitch. It states in host’s policy that there’s a 4 person minimum which is where I get confused. I knew that upon booking. Why wasn’t the base price that I paid (almost $700 for 2 nights) the price for the minimum number of guests? That’s where the issue comes in. Yes. I should have read and obviously reread my confirmation before submitting (trust me. Hard lesson learned here. I will always double check and then have someone else check again for me after this experience!) but since the host states it’s a 4 person minimum to stay there why was the reservation accepted with only one guest? And the other issue is now she won’t let me stay alone. Do I just show up and hope that the host allows me access since I’ve paid the full amount of the original agreement for “one guest?”

@Sarah3749    I've honestly never heard of having a minimum # of guest requirement.  So, the host is saying you can't come as a single guest because of the 4 person minimum, and you can't come as 4 persons unless you pay the extra guest charges, is that right?  That seems like a contradiction to me.  What specifically has Airbnb said to you?  Have they contacted the host on your behalf? 

You might tell Airbnb that the extra guest charges combined with the minimum number of guests is a contradiction and extremely confusing..and see if this one point will help you get some kind of refund.  I would also flag the host property because that is a requirement that is asking for trouble.

We tried. They ended up paying half the extra fees. Still super frustrating and a policy that has negatively affected other guests (my husband and I read more reviews and this was not the first time this has happened with this host). So we will be leaving a review stating that the policy is misleading and to be super careful when booking this property because the host has obviously never made a mistake in her life. And after the way she’s treated us, I hope she never does. 

@Sarah3749  I agree, it is very misleading.  We have a four maximum number of guests, and we started charging an extra guest fee for more than 2 people because we found that previously we were always, always getting 4 guests and 4 people is a lot more wear and tear/water/trash, etc.  I would presume that if 4 guests is the minimum there shouldn't be any charge for extra guests, they aren't extra, they are the minimum requirement. 

It seems like either a shady host or a host who isn't too smart, or both.  Hopefully your stay will be okay, good luck.   

@Sarah3749 So just to clarify, Airbnb paid half the extra fee for you? That’s odd and yet at the same time sounds about right for the circus act Airbnb CS tends to be with their responses. Seems to indicate they weren’t interested in looking into this further. This host and listing should be investigated, and you should have just been refunded. And yet there are legit hosts with listings that follow all protocols properly and keep everything above board, who get shut down indefinitely because some shady guest cried foul when clearly they were just gaming everyone.  Do come back with an update after the stay, if you can.

btw, did the host end up providing access details?

Yes. They paid half of the additional fees. I wish they would have just forced a refund. This whole thing is so awkward now. I’ll definitely update this thread upon arrival and then after the stay. It’s Monday-Wednesday next week. And no. The host has refused access even with everything paid in full until the day of arrival.  I’ve never had a host withhold that information. 

She has refused to give access details I should say! Obviously I don’t expect access to the property before my Monday arrival

@Sarah3749  "why was the reservation accepted with only one guest"? That's a good question. The bottom line though, is the host did accept your booking for one. You have a confirmed, paid reservation, so the host can't refuse access to you for the booking for one.

The whole thing is fishy and weird. Can you share a link to the listing? 

Gladly! Would love to get the word out. It was an honest mistake. I knew it was a 4 person minimum. And thought I’d booked for 4. But her pricing shouldn’t reflect pricing for one guest if it’s not allowed if that makes sense. 

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15923462?source_impression_id=p3_1610817703_XVH7At0WdQLREqBZ&guests=1&a...